Karen Pryor Books

Read an interesting book lately?
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Karen Pryor Books

Post by oddbird »

Any suggestions on which Karen Pryor book to read?

I just finished Mike Ritland’s Trident K9 Warriors (LOVED, hits close to home for me) and before that Team Dog. In each book, though not training manuals, I was able to pick up one or two items that I didn’t think of before or saw a new perspective on. Given that he was heavily influenced by Pryor, I figured that was the most logical next step!

I don’t use a clicker (I do mark with an embarrassingly high pitched and syrupy sweet “Good!”) but I am open to her books on clicker training as well. She just has a few out, so I am not sure where to start! I also don’t really need a book that tells me how to get my dog to sit per se. What I liked about the Ritland books is that it made me more “handler” aware you could say.
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Karen Pryor Books

Post by centrop67 »

Many years ago, I read Don't Shoot the Dog. The only thing I remember is getting a clear understanding of operant conditioning, which isn't exactly what everyone thinks in terms of negative/positive and punishment/reinforcement.

The best book I've read so far is Shutzhund Obedience: Training in Drive by Sheila Booth.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

centrop67 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 6:43 pm Many years ago, I read Don't Shoot the Dog. The only thing I remember is getting a clear understanding of operant conditioning, which isn't exactly what everyone thinks in terms of negative/positive and punishment/reinforcement.

The best book I've read so far is Shutzhund Obedience: Training in Drive by Sheila Booth.
Thank you for the suggestion! Is the book by Sheila Booth predominately geared toward Shutzhund or is it more general than the title let’s on? We probably won’t be doing Shutzhund because the club here is.... well. Special. lol

Definitely interested in learning more about operant conditioning!
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

You definitely want to fully understand operant conditioning.

The book is about training for Schutzhund, yes but, the fundamentals learned can be applied for many different things. It attempts to help you activate the natural drive of a working dog to achieve desired behavior.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

A dog training manual by Conrad Most is to this day the best book I've ever read about training and behavior...
Last edited by Steve Gossmeyer on Sat May 05, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

oddbird wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:29 pm
centrop67 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 6:43 pm Many years ago, I read Don't Shoot the Dog. The only thing I remember is getting a clear understanding of operant conditioning, which isn't exactly what everyone thinks in terms of negative/positive and punishment/reinforcement.

Thank you for the suggestion! Is the book by Sheila Booth predominately geared toward Shutzhund or is it more general than the title let’s on? We probably won’t be doing Shutzhund because the club here is.... well. Special. lol

Where are you located?
oddbird
Green Dog

Post by oddbird »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 6:51 pm
oddbird wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:29 pm

Where are you located?

I’m in Northeast Florida. The Shutzhund club here are very much GSD focused and clique-ish :( I was trying to get into their puppy classes.

In a way, I am super happy that they are like that or I would never have found my current trainer and facility instead, which I feel is leaps and bounds above them and exactly what I needed.

ETA: In fact, the local GSD rescue associated with the Shutzhund club came out to evaluate us for placement of one of their dogs and denied us because Irma took down our fence. Meanwhile, our rescue DS fell into our laps and is getting top notch training and the opportunity to dock dive, track, and if he passes his evaluation, FR. While we won’t place in all these sports, it’s mostly to see what *he* enjoys and to give him the chance to live his best life. This rescue now has an influx of dogs with fences being returned to them :roll: We were very upfront on what happened to our fence and were told they make exceptions for people with common sense. I guess I must not have much common sense adopting a DS!