Thoughts on this study?

General issues of training/education
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Thoughts on this study?

Post by TimL_168 »

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog ... ng-methods

Seems that there's a correlation between depressed dudes and "aversive training techniques".
They passingly mention a question regarding use of prong/E collars, but don't really say how that tallied on their results. I think they view it as negative.
I'd say I get down in the dumps now and then. Possibly in the edge of general depression sometimes. Working with the dogs makes me feel better. The author theorizes that adopting dogs out to men that may be mildly depressed isn't good for the dog. I have a friend that wouldn't be with us today if it weren't for the fact that he HAD to get out of bed to walk, feed, play with his (admittedly very stupid and horrible) GSD puppy.
:soap:
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Re: Thoughts on this study?

Post by borellar15 »

Idk I feel like more goes into it than the simple correlations they made. I could see if someone talked a depressed person into getting a dog when they didn’t really want one or weren’t fit to take care of one let alone themselves, they may become annoyed with their behaviors which may cause them to react a certain way when the dog misbehaves but I feel like if someone was depressed due to lonliness or something and they actually wanted a dog I don’t think they would react negatively to a dogs behavior or may be more understanding when the dog does something they didn’t want them to.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Its bullshit! I do agree talking someone that's depressed into getting a dog can be bad for the dog... or say someone gets a dog and uses it for a coping mechanism is bad for the dog... but I use aversives in training very fairly and I suffer from depressive bouts quite often... I mean I smoke a shit ton of weed that keeps me in a good place and productive... but when I'm training a dog in the middle of one of those depressive bouts (it's my job I cant take the day off for it) I'm actually more focused and patient!
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Here's the questionaire on training attitude:
  • Do you ever attempt to stare your dog down?
  • Do you ever pin your dog on its back as a punishment (alpha roll)?
  • Have you ever hit or kicked your dog?
  • Have you ever physically forced your dog to obey a command by pressuring him/her into, say, a “down” position?
  • Have you ever yelled at your dog when you are upset with him/her?
  • Do you use a choke collar, prong collar, or shock collar to train your dog?
  • Have you ever kneed your dog in the chest or stepped on his/her toes to prevent him/her jumping up?
  • Have you ever thrown anything at your dog, or sprayed him/her with something, or used a loud sound (shake can or air horn) to prevent him from doing something?
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Ok. That's exactly what I was imagining. There are multiple questions in that list that are not inappropriate.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor