Training Methods

General issues of training/education
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Training Methods

Post by alspyce »

It has been brought to my attention, by a dog oriented friend, that I don't "talk" to my dogs very much in the house. We have routines here that just happen--no talking required--the dogs know what's expected, and just follow the set pattern of behavior.

First thing in the morning they know they're going out, go to the door and wait to go out, I say okay and out they go. Door opens, they come, I say okay and they come in.
Food dishes go down, they sit automatically, I say okay---they eat.
I get coffee---everyone settles down with a toy---still no talking---I have coffee in peace and quiet. :coffee:
Most of the day goes pretty much the same. The dogs are allowed to "make the right choice" on their own, and I speak up when that choice is not acceptable, show them what I want instead, and go on.
When I eat a meal--No command---they go to their "place" as soon as I start eating.
When I'm actually working with them---lots of verbal praise, etc., but I do tend to train lots of hand signals.
Not as tho I NEVER talk---just not all the time---and I'm not much on "baby talking."

My friend thinks this is all wrong - I don't see the problem! (Of course we never agree on training issues anyway-Her dogs are brats). I think a lot of "Chattering" just gets ignored by them, and in a way conditions them to not be so attentive when you do speak to them.

Just curious what you folks think/do around the house?
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Re: Training Methods

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I don't think there's anything wrong with not talking. Dogs focus more on the visual than the spoken, anyway.

However, I do talk to my dogs when I'm interacting with them. e.g. playing outside, or giving scritches. It's just me and them so it keeps my vocal chords working. ;) And because I talk to them, they wait until I tell them what to do. For example, my dogs watch me shower and dress in the morning. However, they don't move from the bed (LOL) until I say, "let's go". Then we all go downstairs together. Sure, they'd figure it out on their own, but it's our daily ritual.
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.

Post by alspyce »

[quote="CaroleBoaz"]I don't think there's anything wrong with not talking. Dogs focus more on the visual than the spoken, anyway.

However, I do talk to my dogs when I'm interacting with them. e.g. playing outside, or giving scritches. It's just me and them so it keeps my vocal chords working. ;)quote]
:lol: :lol:
I speak to them a lot when outside playing/ working them. Just myself and the girls here too, so I know what you mean about the vocal chords! My friend calls to chat in the evening and I"ll realize I haven't spoken to a human all day! :duh:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

I dont' talk much either to them, and NEVER any :binkybaby: talk!! I pretty much do what you do Chris. Who wants to hear all that chatter? Not me and certainly not the dogs.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I never have to talk to my guys either. They know the routines and they just follow me around. Same as you Chris, food bowl = sit and wait. go to the door= sit, then go out, etc, I really dont need any cues, they just know what to do, and as Carol said, they follow the body language more anyway. Although Sadie does get alot of NO but thats about it. Im not much of a talker either, they get rubs and physical attention.

My neighbor is like your friend Chris, I was outside this morning playing ball with the girls and I heard her yelling to her dog like it was a kid, " come here now!" I was waiting for her to start counting.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

I don't think I HAVE to talk to my dogs. They know when and what to do. But I do quite a bit. Random babble sometimes, but its just me and Matt and I think they appreciate the communication much more than he does :D
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Post by Lauren »

I am a murmerer by nature. So Xena does get talked to a lot. I don't have to tell her things like to sit for the door and food etc. But we do play a word game when I am releasing her for her dinner. She can't move until I say "free". So I mix it up every day to make sure she is listening. :lol:

Since I do talk to myself a lot, having Xena with me keeps me from looking quite so crazy :yernuts: :whistle:
Lauren from Western NC
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

I'm pretty much like you too, Chris. Not so much talking, and Sugar will either know what is expected of her and does it, or I'm more likely to use body language to communicate with her then words (although I do use both). She definitely learns faster and understands more with body language/hand signals.

And I think that is more like how dogs communicate naturally.
Sue (and Sugar)

ZodiacT
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I was introduced to the Dutch Shepherd breed during my time as an Army veterinary technician working with Military Working Dogs. I fell in love with the breed and by pure chance happened to meet a DS in a local rescue who was a police K9 washout and was up for adoption. We adopted Zodiac right away and she has been an important part of our family ever since. We currently compete in Rally-Obedience and participate in Agility.

Post by ZodiacT »

Zodiac doesn't NEED to be spoken to, she knows the household routines and what she's expected to do. That being said, my husband and I talk to her and the cat quite a bit, and while the cat just ignores it Zodiac seems to really enjoy the attention. I didn't used to talk to her so much but my trainer pointed out to me while doing Rally work that Zodiac clearly enjoys being spoken to and works much harder if she is being encouraged and praised, so as I started talking to her more during training it carried over into home life as well.
Hayley St.Pierre-Thomas and Zodiac RL1-AOE, RL2-AOE, CGC
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Besides, how would I get my avatar photo if I didn't spout nonsense at Boaz?

:dslook:
alspyce
Working Dog

Post by alspyce »

Dutchringgirl wrote: My neighbor is like your friend Chris, I was outside this morning playing ball with the girls and I heard her yelling to her dog like it was a kid, " come here now!" I was waiting for her to start counting.
Exactly like my friend! Instead of a clear command,it's always "didn't I say" or "If you don't" or some other variation. What I hate most (and can't get through to her), is you don't call an animal to come, and then chase them down, smack them, then say come again, and expect them to really want to come to you!
She's one of the "I've shown & put Championships on my dogs(Conformation), and I know how to train!" people. She holds her lead so tight it's ridiculous, but insists her dog is under control! (She has Rotti's !)

Been friends for 25 years, and have agreed to disagree. :roll:
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I was going to say, I wonder if the working breeds are more inclined to do what you "say" by body language until I saw that she has Rotties, but I bet they do as well. My pit/rot mix was just like the DS, she just read my body language.

I just laugh ( to myself) when my neighbor tells the dog "please be quiet, Thank you" .
ImageImage
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Sue (and Sugar)

Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Christie M »

Dutchringgirl wrote: I just laugh ( to myself) when my neighbor tells the dog "please be quiet, Thank you" .
:oops: I thank my dogs constantly. I think of it as a passive reinforcement. LOL. I have to make it sound technical in some regard!
Christie Meyer

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
alspyce
Working Dog

Post by alspyce »

I've owned and shown (conformation & obedience), GSD's, Rottweilers, German Shorthairs, Beauceron, Cattle Dogs, Yorkies, Beagles, and maybe some breeds(for other people) that I've forgotten, worked with Guiding Eyes out of Yorktown Heights, NY.,Donated several of my pups to them, all of which passed all the training and went on to be guide dogs (and they don't usually take donated dogs.) Worked with tons more breeds than she has ever "groomed", yet I can't even talk to her about training issues. Let alone HORSES, of which she owned 2, but when to "college" for at Cobleskill, NY. ( And she don't do much better with them)
Good damn thing I like her otherwise!
Chris Carlton/Lyric
alspyce
Working Dog

Post by alspyce »

Well now, that sounds a bit bitchy when I re-read it. Not my intention, but we do speak to each other like that--pull no punches---kinda like sisters! :D
Chris Carlton/Lyric
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

I think it really depends on what works for the dog and person in question. I don't like nattering at my dog, tho, and I do htink if you indulge a lot in that, eventually, you'll get tuned out (if your dog needs the added verbal encouragement on the field, etc., then fine!).

Also, I like to use words knowing that my puppy will do something anyway/is about to do somethbing anyway to reinforce listening to me (this is when they're young and learning the ropes, for exakm-le)...I kiow she's about to sit, so say "sit" just before she does and mark/reward it, etc.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
alspyce
Working Dog

Post by alspyce »

Leih! You still on the meds? :whistle: Still some typo's. Hope you're still doing well.
You'll have to re-read some of these after your meds are gone! :lol:
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I dont think it came across bitchy at all Chris. With horses, I always talk to them, but not baby talk, just like Im having a conversation with another human. In my younger days when I used to work at some "high class" places, the grooms used to get a kick out of how I talked to the horses. It was just a job to them. With dogs, I like to be clear cut, "sit" "quite" etc. They do get lots of praise and lovin too. IMO I dont thing giving commands to a dog "nicey nice" is clear communication. Christie, I would have to beleive that your thank you is different than my neighbors thank you. :D
ImageImage
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Christie M »

Dutchringgirl wrote:Christie, I would have to beleive that your thank you is different than my neighbors thank you. :D
Probably. Often is follows "Will you all shut the BLLLEEEEEEEP up!!" Then "Thank you."
Christie Meyer