Training Methods

General issues of training/education
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Re: Training Methods

Post by alspyce »

Mine also know I mean business when I bring out the BLLLEEEEEP words. :eek:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

alspyce wrote:Leih! You still on the meds? :whistle: Still some typo's. Hope you're still doing well.
You'll have to re-read some of these after your meds are gone! :lol:
:lol: :lol: I was thinking that same thing!! Hysterical!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Drizlaru
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Motivated sport dog trainer.

Post by Drizlaru »

I don't think verbal communication is very important once your dog gets into a routine around the house and knows whats expected. However, using verbal communication with physical cues is a requirement depending on the circumstances. Like when your teaching a young pup, the pup needs to learn and understand your voice and the body langauage that goes with it. For the more experienced, try taking your dog out for a walk next to a busy road off leash without talking at all. (Don't really, but you get my point.) It's all circumstantial. IMO
Disclaimer: This post is not intended to send anyone to grief counseling, or a mental trauma hospital. The information in this post is intended for "informational purposes only", and is a product of my own opinion.
Ben MacDonald
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

felixone123 wrote:
alspyce wrote:Leih! You still on the meds? :whistle: Still some typo's. Hope you're still doing well.
You'll have to re-read some of these after your meds are gone! :lol:
:lol: :lol: I was thinking that same thing!! Hysterical!!
so glad to be of service! and yup, still medicated :lol: that's why I['m only making it on here every so often...

a lot of it is not really a messed up yhead (oh sure) but it's more like no patience to ensure it's correctomundo
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

we need a spell check option...
Sue (and Sugar)

alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Sugars Mom wrote:we need a spell check option...
Mine from Google toolbar works on here too.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

My crew knows the drill around here and most often I find myself saying one word communication taking that from commands given the boarders. Most of the time with my own, it is a "Hey" with a snap of the fingers to remind them not to do what they know better than to do.

But I have to laugh, Christie, about the BLEEEEP when telling them to shut up. This is off track sort of, but right after Katrina, I helped with a huge rescue group effort in Shreveport where we cared for 800+ dogs, just as many cats and even a whole parrot aviary. One of the parrots only liked me (attacked everyone else) so he came home with me. Cisco had a vocabulary, believe me, it wasnt nice. My son had been deployed with the NationalGuard to NOLA and LakesCharles post Katrina/Rita. When he came home, bringing along some other military colleagues, Cisco would chatter and they would holler at him to "MF, shut the F up!" It was bad enough Cisco already had a colorful vocabulary. Well he still says that and most of the time when company is here. Not good. And if you fuss at him, he gets even louder and louder with it!!

One good thing though, he does help with telling the dogs to hush when they bark! During the mild weather though he is out in his huge outdoor aviary.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

That is too funny about the parrot's vocabulary!!
Sue (and Sugar)

felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

[quote="GSDNanny"] Cisco would chatter and they would holler at him to "MF, shut the F up!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Barbara, Odin & Kai
kevarc
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Just got a pup 4 months old, new to the breed.

Post by kevarc »

How do i get ,y dog to stop attacking and pulling off my other dogs collar? He knows he shouldn't do it and doesn't do it when we are watching but when we walk away, we come back to him pulling on it or already have it off in his mouth. His is a serious problem. our other dog is a rescue and is very sensitive.

Thank you
Kevin & Jen Proud owners of Diezel.
spencer_sarah1
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I currently have gsd and possibly dutch Shepherd lol my life is my dogs any spare time is spent exercising and having fun with my dogs

Post by spencer_sarah1 »

Lol I spend my days chatting my dogs they probably think I'm batty but I was brought up round dogs since I was 2 and always been chatty to my dogs but they know commands by hand signal or voice commands but I think its nice to talk to your pets not that there's anything wrong if you don't either
vicken
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Working woman who got a DS to keep her out of the office. Good dog!! She does her job. She has gotten Mom into agility, schutzhund and carting, all in her first 18 months. Now what? You want me to throw Balls, again?!!

Post by vicken »

Hmm. I suspect it might be more a gender thing. Guys are less talkative than gals, but of course, only generally, not any one person in specific.

I'm kind of chatty, and I love talking to my girl. I expect that she rarely understands my words, but she can here where I am when she is running loose. If I give her a command, it starts with her name, followed by the command, and if she does it right away, "thank you!" often with a treat or a head rub. Not in training .. that's better rewarded till she gets it. I have found she has learned a number of sentences all by herself, though. I was quite surprised a few months ago when I told my husband (we were sitting in the living room, reading) "Y'know, I think its about time to go to bed." and my girl just got up, went to her crate and lay down. Since then, I have tried a number of variations on the theme and most of them work. She was trained to "<<Name!>> Crate!" which she will do at a dead run from the agility field or from anywhere in the house. And minutes later, as I huff and puff back to the crate, to latch it, I tell her, "Thank you!" (wheeze, pant) and sometimes she gets a cookie. v
Learning together with Inti.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

all training is " name " followed by the command, the name gets the attention and then the command. Sadie knows what every sound means and so many words. At night, We are usually watching tv and I am browsing the computer. I usually close the laptop then say " its time for bed" . As soon as the laptop closes, Sadie jumps off the couch and is headed up to bed. Or If she just hears "bed" same thing.

I would use a one word " marker" though. keep it simple
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

IvettePeppers wrote:Thanks for sharing these method.
Peppers, can you tell us about yourself in the new member section? Do you have a DS, are you looking to get one? Please also put in a signature so we know who you are.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage