Pulling on Collars

General issues of training/education
kevarc
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Just got a pup 4 months old, new to the breed.

Pulling on Collars

Post by kevarc »

How do i get ,y dog to stop attacking and pulling off my other dogs collar? He knows he shouldn't do it and doesn't do it when we are watching but when we walk away, we come back to him pulling on it or already have it off in his mouth. His is a serious problem. our other dog is a rescue and is very sensitive.

Thank you
Kevin & Jen Proud owners of Diezel.
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Re: Pulling on Collars

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Puppies do this a lot when they play. I almost had a major incident when my Malinois puppy's jaw got caught in my older dog's collar. Since then, no collars in the back yard or the house. They all have collars by the door for when we go for walks and rides. Well, that was my solution. I never want to hear that screaming sound again!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I had the same thing happen too! I usually dont have any collars on unless we are going out but sometimes when I come back I forget to take them off. They were playing and Sadie (of course) grabbed Thalies collar and twisted her teeth in it and was stuck. She started screaming and I unlatched the collar (flat). They have jingly tags now so I remember to take them off.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

keep the offending dog on leash until you can train it to stop or if put a muzzle on him when off leash so he can't keep doing this
Choochi
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

There's a huge long permanent thread over on the Germanshepherds.com forum about the dangers of collars. Some not so happy endings. :(

I also remembered another incident. When I was at work, my Malinois puppy had her collar (with tags) on in her crate. When I came home, she shot out of the crate like a rocket! Inside the crate was a broken collar and broken tags. All I can imagine is that her tags got caught on the crate and she almost strangled herself trying to get away. I felt so bad. I guess that's why the airlines make you take the collars off your dog for travel.

Lisa, my dogs' collars have their tags on them, also. I call them their "jingle bells". It's easy to remember to take them off when they make all that racket.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ge ... s-off.html
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I agree that the dog should not have collars on when home. Sadie also got stuck in her crate, luckily I was home. when I go and they are in their crate I always take off the collars but I was home so I didnt think about it. Its just safer to leave them off.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

hmmm, interesting topic. We take Sugar's collar off in the evening/overnight, but leave it on during the day. My thoughts were that if she ever somehow snuck out of the house, she would have her dog tags on if she got lost/injured. (She is not microchipped)
Sue (and Sugar)

leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

I'm in the group that leaves the collar on, but I don't have multiple dogs, and Geyser doesn't sleep in a crate any longer.

I have a ton of tags on her collar, so lots of jingling when she gets up and moves around; this way, I know where she is and if she's moving.

An acquaintance once told me of dog who'd gotten sick in the night, and went downstairs to the outside door (unbeknownst to the owner), and died there trying to get out.

And I agree...if something horrible happens (fire is my worst fear of all), and your dog somehow gets lost, the tags are important.

But I agree with Choochi; don't let your dog practice this behavior to begin with.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

So, after reading all these stories I will no longer allow the dogs to play in the yard with their collars on. :eew:

I like to keep Odin's on in the house so I can hear his tags (like Leih said) and know where he is when he goes for his "walks" in the house. He does get crated at night, so bye-bye collar.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I have a large piece of cardboard blocking the lower half of my bedroom doorway. It could easily be pushed over if they tried, but they don't try. I didn't want the dogs wandering around the house while I was asleep, or waiting to go potty without me knowing. But I also wanted the door open for air flow. So, nobody gets out of the bedroom without me knowing.
kevarc
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Just got a pup 4 months old, new to the breed.

Post by kevarc »

Thank you for the input everyone
Kevin & Jen Proud owners of Diezel.
Englishes5
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am a married mother of 3 small boys under the age of 9. We now have our first puppy as a family. We have had her since she was about 10 weeks old, and she is a lab/shepherd cross and great dog, however she still has so much "puppy" in her and I just get exhausted sometimes trying to give her and the rest of my family enough attention. She is 11 months old now, and I am so ready to have a dog that can hang in the house with us, off leash, and chill. Whew

Post by Englishes5 »

Our dog is still a puppy, so we keep her collar on unless she is crated, however we took her tags off and wrote her info on the collar with a sharpie. When she is big enough for a new collar, she will get me with her name and contact info embroidered on it
Erika