Temperament Testing

General issues of training/education
HARNW76
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm a 55 year old CNC programmer living in the USA. I've owned 4 GSD, but I'm considering a Dutch Shephard for my next. I'm looking to gain as much information about the breed as I can before making my decision.

Re: Temperament Testing

Post by HARNW76 »

Your post doesn't tell me who you are. Are you Justin from O'Fallon?
Thanks,
Harold Eaker
Outside St.Louis, Mo. USA
HARNW76
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm a 55 year old CNC programmer living in the USA. I've owned 4 GSD, but I'm considering a Dutch Shephard for my next. I'm looking to gain as much information about the breed as I can before making my decision.

Post by HARNW76 »

Christie M wrote:Justin is actually here in TN for the holidays and will be training with us. I will make sure to make him aware of this conversation. I am quite sure he hasn't checked the board recently and doesn't know he has a PM.
Christie I just received a message from someone that I think is Justin. However his post doesn't say who he is.
Thank you for trying to get us together. I'm sure it will happen some time early in the new year. Also, after I see his puppy play\work I will ask you for your impressions of the little guy. I'll be interested to learn if I see the same things that you see in him or if I'm way off base.
Thanks,
Harold Eaker
Outside St.Louis, Mo. USA
CAHerder
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a few acres in CA where I can have the space to rescue dogs, let my 7 year old Cattle Dog run and chase our two sheep and two goats (calmly!) I'm looking into getting a Dutch Shepherd.

Post by CAHerder »

Something I'll mention from observing shelter dogs (of all breeds)... doing a formal temperament test has to consider the entire surrounding environment. It is a new room? Is a thunderstorm coming? Was there something new, some new noise in that room that was distracting/scary?

All these things can cause a possibly otherwise stable dog to appear fearful, skittish, etc. But could be due to something we don't know about. Sometimes when a dog comes in and doesn't pass a temp test, they'll let them settle a few days, then re-test. But its important to note two things: Something that could be fairly easily trained with could skew the test to look bad....but if it looks good, it could be missing something. It gives you a good idea of where to start with a dog, but of course they are animals - and training/environment can end up to determine a lot.

Oh, and my rescue ACD at 2 years couldn't care less about fetching, only chase. By rewarding the retrieve, over the years, she now has an great drive to play fetch. Most people don't believe that the behavior had to be taught! Of course, she does have a 'built in' herding instinct that is good, I just shaped it a bit :)
Heather

Redwoods of CA
with a "too sweet for her own good" Cattle Dog, named Surly
and a potential DS soon!
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

CAHerder wrote:Something I'll mention from observing shelter dogs (of all breeds)... doing a formal temperament test has to consider the entire surrounding environment. It is a new room? Is a thunderstorm coming? Was there something new, some new noise in that room that was distracting/scary?

The way the formal puppy temperament test is supposed to be set up, it is supposed to be a place where the pup has never been, with a testing person the pup has never met. What you're probably talking about is just a general shelter temperament test. If the pup is truly stable and confident, you can plop them in a strange room with a strange person and make reasonably scary noises and none of that should really phase the pup.
Choochi