Equipment For Marker Training

General issues of training/education
HARNW76
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm a 55 year old CNC programmer living in the USA. I've owned 4 GSD, but I'm considering a Dutch Shephard for my next. I'm looking to gain as much information about the breed as I can before making my decision.

Equipment For Marker Training

Post by HARNW76 »

Today will be my first day of working with our rescue dog. She's a 4 yr. old GSD.
It will also be my very first day using marker training methods. As far as training
equipment for this type of training I have 1 package of hot dogs, ready to be cut
into bite size bits. My understanding is that the reward should come from a hidden
place. So I should not just hold a hand full of treats in my hand while working with
the dog, but rather take the treats from some other type of container that is out of
sight of the dog. Inside the home most any type of bowl should do the trick. Yes?
But while working with her outside it becomes a different story. My question is,
for this type of training are there treat bags that are better suited for it then others?
What features should I be looking for in choosing a treat holder. What types should I avoid?
Or is this much to do about nothing and anything that keeps me from having to hold
treats in my hand is just fine.
Thanks,
Harold Eaker
Outside St.Louis, Mo. USA
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Re: Equipment For Marker Training

Post by Choochi »

Choochi
HARNW76
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm a 55 year old CNC programmer living in the USA. I've owned 4 GSD, but I'm considering a Dutch Shephard for my next. I'm looking to gain as much information about the breed as I can before making my decision.

Post by HARNW76 »

Choochi, thanks for the link. I read half the instructions on training before working with my dog. (The second half tomorrow) Since then we've worked two sessions together. So for today we've covered looking at me in the face and making eye contact. Coming to me when I say her name. Sit, down,stand and heal. And you should have seen her "healing". She'd put her one paw on my forehead. The other she would raise to the sky and then she would start howling and barking like nothing you've ever seen. I then I felt better. : ) Yes I know. A very old old joke. Sorry.
Ok back to serious. Because maker training is so new to me I've been more then a little apprehensive about trying it out. I took all the positive comments that I've read and seen about this method with a grain of salt. Nevertheless I can say after just two sessions with this little timid girl that I've never spend a day training where I felt less stress and pressure. Neither has there been a day of training where my dog had less pressure put on them by me. It has been a real eye opener for me. So, to you and all the others on this forum that have taken time out to help me in my quest to find my next dog. And to start learning a whole new system of training I want to extend my most heart felt thank you. I've never seen so many people that were willing to share so much knowledge with someone who knows so little. There are some exceptional people here and I feel very fortunate to have crossed your paths. And I promise not to waste your time or your good intentions. I will take seriously the insights you share with me. And when you send me a link to a web site that you feel will be of help to me I will check it out thoroughly. And lastly, I will not just try to learn from all of you and then do nothing with the information. I will work my dogs and try to apply the new things that I am learning. And will do the best that I can with the knowledge you have given me. I am grateful and in your debt.
Thanks,
Harold Eaker
Angitay
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a 9 month old Dutchie named CC.

Post by Angitay »

I like to use a bait bag that clips around the waist. This one has a hinged pouch that stay open or snaps closed: http://www.amazon.com/Guardian-Gear-Ter ... supplies_6 There are lots of different brands out there at varying prices.
I don't think that the treats need to be necessarily hidden from the dog but it is a good idea to not have the treats in your hand before clicking.
Angie and CC
HARNW76
Puppy

Post by HARNW76 »

Angitay, thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
Also, thanks for the training tip. I'm new to marker training and I need and will
appreciate all the help that I can get. Thanks
Thanks,
Harold Eaker
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

Also, you could look for videos on Youtube for teaching It's Yer Choice so you can have your food sitting out in a bowl and your dog will keep working and not just take the treats (or toys).
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com