Skype as a training tool.

General issues of training/education
Dutch in America
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: A dog lover living in Florida. I am originally from The Netherlands. Had dogs all my life, mostly working dogs. Last one was a GSD I trained for narcotic detection. I have recently gotten my first DS, Ranger. I also have 2 Danish/Swedish farmdogs.

Skype as a training tool.

Post by Dutch in America »

Ranger has decided he doesn't want to be in his crate recently, especially when we go out. The most god-awful shrieking and crying and general mayhem ensued if we leave him alone in the house (well not totally alone, the other 2 dogs are there, too.) This is not an unusual problem, I know. I started the usual routine of slowly building him up with short happy stays to get a cooky, feeding him in the crate, etc. He is fine as long as we are there. He even goes in on his own to go to bed at night. The minute we walk out of the door, the screaming begins. I even had the phone line open to listen and see how long it would go on, hoping he would settle after a minute or two. Nope, an hour later he was still at it (we had gone out to dinner) I gave up and closed the call, needless to say, dinner was not fun and it was rushed a bit to get back home.

I hit on the idea of using Skype. I set up the laptop with the camera pointing to the crate. I set up a second Skype account on my cell phone and dialed, opening up the video call. (I guess you could do this with face time and 2 cell phones, too.) I put him in the crate, gave him a little treat, told him to wait. I went out the door, opened and closed the garage door, and watched. 1 second after finishing his treat he started the screeching and barking, I spoke into the phone and said "Ranger, no. Down and wait!" The surprised look on his face was priceless. He lay down. About thirty seconds later, he got up and started again. I repeated the command. His head tilted, again trying to figure out where the voice was coming from. He sighed loudly and lay down. A minute later he was asleep.

After a bit, I reopened and closed the garage door, and he jumped up and started shrieking. "Ranger, no! Down and wait". Sure enough he stopped and lay down. When I walked back in the room, he was looking at me kind of sheepishly and accepted his "good boy" and reward treat.

I plan to keep this up for a while, leaving it longer and longer. Hopefully it will stick and we will have peace in the crate again. :DSangel:
Mom to:
Ranger-DS
Jake and Elwood-Danish/Swedish Farmdogs

"May you be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Re: Skype as a training tool.

Post by Stacy_R »

Kudos to you for thinking outside the box!!!
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

WOW !!
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Very cool. I did this when I first set up my basement for the girls to see what they would do. Luckily, they just slept.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
feraloup
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.

Post by feraloup »

That is AWESOME! :lol:
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
Ben_jamin
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: My name is Ben. I've been a dog lover for my entire life. I currently own a GSD (Hopper) and a Boxer (Phoebe). They are my kids and best friends.

As far as DS's go, I've never owned one and this is the reason I'm here. I'm looking to learn more about the breed since I'm thinking of adding one to my family.

Post by Ben_jamin »

This is Genius! I hope you don't mind... I'm totally stealing your idea.
Ben, Ginny & Phoebe.
Hopper - Waiting patiently at the bridge.
Dutch in America
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: A dog lover living in Florida. I am originally from The Netherlands. Had dogs all my life, mostly working dogs. Last one was a GSD I trained for narcotic detection. I have recently gotten my first DS, Ranger. I also have 2 Danish/Swedish farmdogs.

Post by Dutch in America »

To Ben_jamin: Ranger is quite a quick study. He now chills in his crate without a problem. Hope it works for you, too!
Mom to:
Ranger-DS
Jake and Elwood-Danish/Swedish Farmdogs

"May you be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."
JacobSzewczyk
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: (Personal Trainer) I'm a fitness fanatic. If you have anything health related you can ask.
I'm currently not owning a Dutch shepherd, However i own a GSD X Rottweiler
I will be looking to get a quality DS soon though for FR or PSA.

Also, I will be applying to become a police officer. And hopefully a few years down the road into the K9 subdivison. Thank's for visiting my profile.

Post by JacobSzewczyk »

I did that with Skye when she was a pup fortunately it really works !
Jacob&Skye
vicken
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Working woman who got a DS to keep her out of the office. Good dog!! She does her job. She has gotten Mom into agility, schutzhund and carting, all in her first 18 months. Now what? You want me to throw Balls, again?!!

Post by vicken »

Excellent, I had heard of something like that before, but wonderful that you tried it and it worked!! One more tool. V
Learning together with Inti.