Looking for search and rescue training for my DS

General issues of training/education
Skidgee
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My husband and I have adopted two beautiful DS and we are hoping to train them in agility but most importantly for search and rescue. I have registered on this site to learn more about this fabulous breed of dog.

Looking for search and rescue training for my DS

Post by Skidgee »

Hello all,

I am in Richmond, Texas which is a suburb of Houston. My husband and I want to train our Dutch Shepard's in Search and Rescue as a way of giving back! Our Dutchies are 8 months old and very smart, protective already and just lovable! So if anyone can recommend a person or facility that we can go to in the area we would be very appreciative!

Thanks!

Marie :DScool: :DScool:
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Looking for search and rescue training for my DS

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Hi Marie!

As a fellow Texan I know there are a few SAR groups around you. As far as I could find out when I did my research about SAR training, most groups required you to be a member for a year (at least). I would check with your local SAR groups and ask them directly though - might be different where you are. I know there are a few SAR trainers out there too. I would ask to see what their background was too I did find a few fakes.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Karin
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.

Re: Looking for search and rescue training for my DS

Post by Karin »

I would contact your county SAR or sheriff and ask them what group or organization trains and provides mission ready dog teams. That will give you and idea who to contact. FYI, most groups will not train two handlers to one dog. The bond and working relationship is too unique and demanding. Also, my organization in CA says 2 years of hard training to get to mission ready so it is a commitment. Just so you know.

Check out the book SCENT OF THE MISSING by Sussanah Charleston. She worked out of Dallas and it is a relatively new book. Gives you an idea of the commitment involved but also might have some contact info.

karin
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013