Training philosophies

General issues of training/education
Texas Dog 81
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm a pretty active guy that enjoys having canine companions with me. I have an 8 year old female GSD and a 12 year old half lab half golden male.

Training philosophies

Post by Texas Dog 81 »

Hi All,

I've been gathering as much information as possible since joining and have found the forum really helpful. I've spoken with different breeders, owners, trainers, and clubs as well. One thing that seems obviously important is the trainer that you choose. I'm trying to find a good trainer to help educate me. It seems that there are philosophical differences in the training locally between PSA clubs but I don't feel capable of evaluating which one is best for me. I have a good handle on basic learning theory (operant and classical conditioning) but I'm assuming there are specific differences in how this is applied or emphasized based on someone's training style. I also assume that people will want to know what I'm wanting to train for, which I have to admit I'm not totally set on yet. I know that I want to do tracking and obedience but I'm very interested in the possibility of SAR and/or protection. I've heard positive things about Miceal Ellis and Ivan Balabanov. I'd really appreciate other suggestions or any ways that you might conceptualize the differences between training philosophies. What would you suggest looking for and avoiding when interviewing trainers?

Thanks in advance
- Zane
Texas Dog 81
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm a pretty active guy that enjoys having canine companions with me. I have an 8 year old female GSD and a 12 year old half lab half golden male.

Re: Training philosophies

Post by Texas Dog 81 »

This is probably more appropriate for the Education section, please feel free to move if so. Thanks.
- Zane
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Mod- Moved to Education
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Texas Dog 81
Just Whelped

Post by Texas Dog 81 »

Thanks Lisa
- Zane
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Well, this is a tough one. It all depends on training idiologies, personalities, your dog, how everyone gets along. You can start with ob training since that is the foundation of everything, then go from there. I like Ellis too, so you can also start with him for now. The best thing is to go and watch some sessions with the trainers, see how they work with others, dogs, groups, etc. See if you can talk to some other people that are in training, how they like them. You could always take some training sessions to see if you all are compatable, take some basic ob as not to mess up your dog. ANd most important, FOLLOW YOUR GUT. I dont care who the trainer is, how many trophies, recognitions etc, if you are not comfortable and dont like how they train and interact with you and your dog, go somewhere else.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

I am a huge, huge fan of Ellis. Don't think you can go wrong with him.

I can't recall the extent of your experience or if you've had difficult issues with which to deal in the past, but...I once needed some serious help and a well-known local behaviorist/trainer was recommended. Having been green to the type of issues in front of me and, at the time, with working dogs, I listened and his methods/program made sense.

And then all of a sudden they didn't. And I walked. This speaks to Lisa's comment: follow your gut. That's when I started paying attention to Ellis.

There's a trainer/behaviorist/breeder on this forum who also likes Ivan. (I think she may have worked with him???)

A lot of trainers (and some clubs?) these days are on YouTube. Have you searched for any (though you might not know what you're seeing, if I understand your post correctly)?
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~