Studies on Genetic Inheritability and Handler/Dog Relationships

General issues of training/education
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Studies on Genetic Inheritability and Handler/Dog Relationships

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

These two studies popped up on my FB (I know nerdy right?) and I thought I'd share. The first basically talks about the role a handler plays in forming a dog.

Some awesome quotes from it:

"The results from this study show a positive correlation between the degree of “attachment” by the owner to their dogs and the probability of average or greater success rates."

"The nature of the time spent with the working dogs and the methodology of training do appear, at least by association, to be relevant to the success outcomes of the dogs. Use of positive reinforcement in training was significantly associated with average and above success rates."

"However, there is a growing interest in the role that the owner or handler personality has in influencing a dog's potential. Kis et al. [60] found that owner personality (as measured by the BFI) did appear to play a role in their dog's performance and behaviour during a simple interaction task.... Therefore, the typical behaviour of a working dog handler with a conscientious personality may foster the desirable traits of obedience and emotional stability in their dogs."

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0104457

This second one deals with Mals... Basically it says that the skills we look at when breeding are genetically acquired and cannot be "proven" due to looks. It looks at certain traits and male versus female. It's a typical French study so it's a bit heavy and may require a few readings. They do mention that French ring is one of the best "tester" of an animal's true capabilities due to it's trying to minimize environmental factors in judging.

http://faculty.washington.edu/jcha/330_ ... _behav.pdf
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)