Socialization

General issues of training/education
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Socialization

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

This is just a quick post about a really great comment I read today regarding socialization.

"Socialization is a chance to teach the dog manners. In an environment where he/she cannot fail. It won't ever eliminate a dog's instincts for one thing or another...but it does teach the dog how to cap themselves or at least to willingly tolerate more environmental distractions and human presence without engaging. For me Socialization is about not engaging, not even being vocal. Boing complacent and tolerating pure f***ery without breaking."

This, I think, deep down, is at the heart of everyone who talks about socialization but it's not expressed/taught properly. This means not just with people but environments, situations, and objects. It's not about touching the cute puppy or having everyone pet and hold and coo over them; it's about teaching the dog manners in environments, building confidence, and molding the type of behavior you want the dog to do. All that being said, I still don't have trouble with interaction with humans/dogs if the dog is scared of them - ignoring, treating, working through drive, what have you - and calling it socialization/exposure, but once the fear is neutralized it then you work on the behaviors/manners you want.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Socialization

Post by Raven »

I can't wrap my head around another discussion of socialization vs. "socialization" without first having brain surgery.

But I love you sharing what you find! Always good reads.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Lol nah me neither. Just sharing a really good tidbit.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Kira, that is perfect !!!!!!!!!!! It seems many times when people talk about socialization ,they seem to mean they want the dog to play in groups, allow everyone to pet them and be the perfect Golden Retriever no matter what breed. This sums it up just right. thanks for posting
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

It's easy to see why people get confused. Perhaps if another word had been chosen.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

yes, true Raven, a different word would be good. Or if the person could be more decriptive as to what they are looking to accomplish with the dog.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Owly
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a student, I work at a zoo, and I work at a veterinarian's office. I'm an active person who doesn't mind playing the occasional video game or vegging out on the sofa while holding a netflix marathon.

Post by Owly »

I always refer to it as environmental exposure and/or desensitizing when I'm referring to anything that doesn't involve actually interacting with other dogs or people on an interactive/social/verbal/play level. Anytime someone brings up 'socializing' I always ask what their definition of 'socialization/socializing' is if it comes up in dog related conversation. Saves me the hassle of having to figure out if they mean 'social play' or 'social manners' if that makes any sense.
Owly, Ohio.