Swim training

General issues of training/education
BrianNo
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a 2 yr old dutch shepherd and a 2 month old pug

Swim training

Post by BrianNo »

Hello fellow dog lovers, I wanted to ask you guys a question. I have read that swimming is really good for dogs (Ref: http://www.soldapools.com/swimming/5-he ... -your-dog/ ). Is this true for domestic dogs ? I take my doggie for a walk in the park and I have seen a pool near our locality where pets can be taken. But I had not taken Max till now because I wasn't sure if he will be okay with it. Do you guys take out your dog for a swim?
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Swim training

Post by Dutchringgirl »

You asked the right person !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been taking my girls swimming once a week for a few months now. I have a post on it.

Swimming is THE BEST form of exercise for everyone !

If you can take them swimming , do it.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Multipurpose trainer

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

Swimming is great for dogs, depending on depth and current I would recommend a PFD it keeps them in a more upright position and they can swim a little longer. Our apprehension K9s train in a body of water 60 ft long 20 ft wide and 8 ft deep they train to swim across the water and the bite is the reward.
Roger
Consistency + Repetition = Predictability
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

Wanted to add on some mornings at Naval Base Coronado, in the bay you can see Navy Seals swimming along side their MPC's. It is a cool sight and they swim a good distance.
Roger
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

Wanted to add if you are ever in San Diego on some mornings you can see Navy Seals swimming in Coronado Bay, Naval Base Coronado, next to their MPC's. They swim a good distance.
Roger
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

Swimming is an excellent activity. If they are toy motivated you could even do some dock diving.
Patty and Ice
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

ICE wrote:Swimming is an excellent activity. If they are toy motivated you could even do some dock diving.
Sadie would be hiding behind the wall shaking and cowering. I still have to put her in the pool.
ImageImage
racingiron1
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.

Post by racingiron1 »

Good timing for this topic... Last week we took Hilde with us on Spring Break to FL. She has always been very leery of any water deeper than a puddle. She's been to the beach before, but would pretty much panic as soon as a single toe got wet. Well, I think we can safely say we've overcome that. I've got some pictures and videos I'll post as soon as I get a chance.
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
SandiHunt
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My name is Sandi, I have just added a nearly 4 month old Dutch Shepherd to my family. Her name is Mina, but it should be Mean Uuh! Actually, she is as sweet as she is spicy and has great drive already. I'm looking forward to learning as much as possible about the breed and having a competent working family member.

Post by SandiHunt »

We have joined a Dock Diving group here in Missouri - just one more activity to keep a young DS girl busy, busy, busy!
Sandi, Ali (Presa), Pierre (Bichonpoo) & Mina (DS) - MO
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

:wtg:
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
travis ronni
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Olek is home and working on learning new things!

Post by travis ronni »

Sadie would be hiding behind the wall shaking and cowering. I still have to put her in the pool.

How did you break her of the fear?? Olek is TERRIFIED of water!
Travis, Ronni, and Olek
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

What I found out from watching sadie swim, was her fear was not the water or swimming per se. But Sadie has double Hip displasia, so her hind end is weak, especially in the winter when we cant go hiking as often.

By watching her swim her rear end drops down so she would fear she was drowning and freak out. By getting her rear end strong, and wearing a life jacket and holding her tail up to keep her rear end level, she over came her fear and was swimming great !!

She still is weary getting in since her fears were for years and she just has to remember its okay but she gets in much easier than she used to.

The best think is to find a stream where they can go in slowly, bring a good toy to lure her in and slow, I also found if there is another dog that loves the water, put that dog in first, they will see its okay and help them want to go in.

It takes time, never throw the dog in, that will freak them out and make them never want to go in.

Plus, the pool where I was taking them had BIG WIDE steps and we would just go in one step and walk back and forth so they could go at their own pace.
ImageImage
travis ronni
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Olek is home and working on learning new things!

Post by travis ronni »

Thank you! I'm glad that Sadie is doing better! We don't have a big pool or anything at my house but there is a brook on my street maybe I'll take him down there and see if he will go in. He is just so afraid of anything water. Bath time for a 12 pound puppy takes both Travis and I! Lol
Travis, Ronni, and Olek