Ed Reyes K9 Training

General issues of training/education
rabeatz
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Winter Park, FL

Ed Reyes K9 Training

Post by rabeatz »

I hope this is OK to post since we aren't really sure if Lola is a DS or not yet (see http://www.dutchshepherdforum.com/viewt ... =60&t=5115 ) but I wanted to talk a bit about training and venture out of the "Is my canine a DS" forum (I've been lurking in other sections but not posting).

I reached out to a friend of mine with a Beligian Mallinois trained for S&R and asked if he had any recommendations for a trainer in our area (Orlando, FL). He recommended Ed Reyes ( http://edreyesk9.com/ ) Has anyone heard of him, have anything to say, or any other recommendations for a trainer?

We're really not looking for a trainer where Lola is boarded and shipped back to us "trained" (or a totally different dog we don't recognize), but something where we do training sessions with the trainer and at home without the trainer and have someone we can reach out to as issues develop.

We know that training is an investment - his rates seem very reasonable. He recommended first meeting her and doing some behavior training (group sessions, I believe) and if he feels shes ready, at about 8 months getting into some bitework and other related training.

We want a family pet - but I know Lola needs a job. Our training goals are behavior first - and then training to have her protect our family in an event it's needed would be next. Is this a realistic goal? I know some people say it's all or nothing - they're either a working dog or they aren't.

A bit about Lola - she's a rescue, currently about 36 lbs, 5 months old. Very vocal, independent but loves playtime with the family or with our Australian shepherd. Definitely the alpha dog of the house - but she doesn't seem like her drive is overkill. She does not show any signs of food or toy agression - She and Ezekiel have eaten and drank out of the same bowl and do so regularly - to the point we have to separate them when feeding so she eats puppy food and he eats dog food. She does have a prey drive, it seems - as the toy she wants to play with is whatever one is flying by, or that Ezekiel has - regardless of the fact she already has one in her mouth.

Any tips or feedback is greatly appreciated.
Lola - 1.5 YO DS lookalike (DNA here viewtopic.php?t=5115#p49657)
Ezekiel - 10 YO AKC Australian Sheperd
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Ed Reyes K9 Training

Post by centrop67 »

It sounds like you are on the right track, and hopefully someone has reached out to you via IM.

OR, it just be that no one here on the forum has experience with that trainer.

I know this is a struggle, because I have reached out to the local Schutzhund club and a working dog trainer locally and I got zero response - frustrating.

One thing that I have learned form this site is that this breed has a tendency to become a one-person dog. That might complicate things in a family setting. Search and Rescue and tracking may be a good training path after obedience.

I was lucky enough to have one member provide good detail on finding a breeder. Perhaps I can get someone to do the same for trainers?
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

Trainers are very subjective. What may work for you may not work for me no matter what the dog is like. Each person has to decide how they want to train (positive, corrections, e-collar, etc). Then the trick is finding a trainer that supports your style. One very important piece of advise, DO NOT EVER let a trainer push you into doing something you are not comfortable with. It doesn't matter how many titles the trainer has or how many dogs he has trained, if you don't feel good about the method, your dog will know it and respond accordingly.
I am from Illinois so I am not familiar with the trainer you are looking at. I would suggest you go and watch (without your dog) a class or two so you can get a feel for how he trains and how comfortable his other students are. Or sign up for a class but be willing to forfeit your class fee if you are not comfortable with the training style.
I am not sure from your post if you are concerned about doing bitework. I do many sports with ICE, IPO included. He is a crazy man when the decoy is on the field. ICE absolutely loves the fight the decoy brings but he is also a house dog and plays just fine with my other 3 dogs, has no issues with human family members and is my cuddly lap dog. So, my point being, bitework done correctly does not make a dog aggressive or out of control. I hope this helps.
Patty and Ice
Patrick
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I live in central Florida and appreciate and enjoy working dogs!

Post by Patrick »

There is an expression. Get two trainers together and the only thing on which they will agree is that the third trainer is doing it wrong. πŸ˜‚
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Patrick wrote: ↑Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:10 pm There is an expression. Get two trainers together and the only thing on which they will agree is that the third trainer is doing it wrong. πŸ˜‚

HAHA perfect
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

They are one person dogs, my Thalie REFUSES to listen to any one else, except my dad, but he is a special animal guy. The kids get frustrated because they call her and call her or tell her over and over to sit and NOPE, only if I tell her. Sadie is a bit better since I had Sadie since a pup with the kids so I made sure she would listen to the kids, but I am still Sadies Human. You can have the other family members work with her at training sessions to help teach them too, but she will always be a one human dog.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Patrick
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I live in central Florida and appreciate and enjoy working dogs!

Post by Patrick »

Dutchringgirl wrote: ↑Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:27 pm They are one person dogs, my Thalie REFUSES to listen to any one else, except my dad, but he is a special animal guy. The kids get frustrated because they call her and call her or tell her over and over to sit and NOPE, only if I tell her. Sadie is a bit better since I had Sadie since a pup with the kids so I made sure she would listen to the kids, but I am still Sadies Human. You can have the other family members work with her at training sessions to help teach them too, but she will always be a one human dog.
Ha ha!
Patrick
Puppy

Post by Patrick »

rabeatz wrote: ↑Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:16 pm I hope this is OK to post since we aren't really sure if Lola is a DS or not yet (see http://www.dutchshepherdforum.com/viewt ... =60&t=5115 ) but I wanted to talk a bit about training and venture out of the "Is my canine a DS" forum (I've been lurking in other sections but not posting).

I reached out to a friend of mine with a Beligian Mallinois trained for S&R and asked if he had any recommendations for a trainer in our area (Orlando, FL). He recommended Ed Reyes ( http://edreyesk9.com/ ) Has anyone heard of him, have anything to say, or any other recommendations for a trainer?

We're really not looking for a trainer where Lola is boarded and shipped back to us "trained" (or a totally different dog we don't recognize), but something where we do training sessions with the trainer and at home without the trainer and have someone we can reach out to as issues develop.

We know that training is an investment - his rates seem very reasonable. He recommended first meeting her and doing some behavior training (group sessions, I believe) and if he feels shes ready, at about 8 months getting into some bitework and other related training.

We want a family pet - but I know Lola needs a job. Our training goals are behavior first - and then training to have her protect our family in an event it's needed would be next. Is this a realistic goal? I know some people say it's all or nothing - they're either a working dog or they aren't.

A bit about Lola - she's a rescue, currently about 36 lbs, 5 months old. Very vocal, independent but loves playtime with the family or with our Australian shepherd. Definitely the alpha dog of the house - but she doesn't seem like her drive is overkill. She does not show any signs of food or toy agression - She and Ezekiel have eaten and drank out of the same bowl and do so regularly - to the point we have to separate them when feeding so she eats puppy food and he eats dog food. She does have a prey drive, it seems - as the toy she wants to play with is whatever one is flying by, or that Ezekiel has - regardless of the fact she already has one in her mouth.

Any tips or feedback is greatly appreciated.
I trained with Ed a handful of times. I liked him. I like that he trains real-world dogs as I have come across many sport dog trainers that think training Schutzhund is the same as training personal protection.
Patrick
Puppy

Post by Patrick »

centrop67 wrote: ↑Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:36 pmfinding a breeder[/url]. Perhaps I can get someone to do the same for trainers?
I think it depends for what one wants to train. I once took my PPD to a world champion Schutzhund competitor and trainer for PPD work and I thought he was AWFUL. Some of these folks think they're a Jack of all trades. Usually, they are not.
rabeatz
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Winter Park, FL

Post by rabeatz »

I'm sorry for not replying to everyone - I thought I was being ignored and never got any replies - email notifications must not have been configured properly!

My wife and I have taken Lola to Ed's training for about a month or two now and we LOVE it. Trainer is a great guy and it's not too expensive. I've actually referred a few new clients to him as well by having them come out to the sessions and watch and learn. Lola is doing really well and picks up on things very quickly. Ed got us set up with the pinch/prong collar as well, which we were a little weary of because it looks like a painful torture device - so I put it on myself and saw it definitely isn't a torture device and we are completely comfortable with it.

We got a Herm Sprenger collar for her, I don't have her on her all the time, but I had recalled some forum members talking about putting it on with a lead inside the house and I have done that a couple times during her *crazy hour* to get her to chill out - without really even needing to do any corrections.

While at her last training session I learned she has a LOT of fun with the schutzhund wall / a-frame - and I will build one for our yard soon.

Time to go check my settings so I don't let a thread disappear like this again!

Edit: I guess there's not an option to automatically subscribe to a thread you start? I'll have to pay attention in the future.
Lola - 1.5 YO DS lookalike (DNA here viewtopic.php?t=5115#p49657)
Ezekiel - 10 YO AKC Australian Sheperd
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

ICE wrote: ↑Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:19 pm
I am from Illinois so I am not familiar with the trainer you are looking at.
Where do you recommend to go in Illinois? I'd like to get Duke involved in either of the popular dog sports. He has a high drive for protection, and agility. I'm thinking schutzhund would be great.

Also, you mentioned not to ever let somebody force you do do something you aren't on board with. I went to an intro class somewhere and some poor rescue who was a bit mouthy didn't want to go through the agility tunnel and the trainer kept insisting on trying, the poor dog was like hanging from its prong collar fighting to avoid it! So sad
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

Duke wrote: ↑Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:46 pm
I am from Illinois so I am not familiar with the trainer you are looking at.
Where do you recommend to go in Illinois? I'd like to get Duke involved in either of the popular dog sports. He has a high drive for protection, and agility. I'm thinking schutzhund would be great.

Also, you mentioned not to ever let somebody force you do do something you aren't on board with. I went to an intro class somewhere and some poor rescue who was a bit mouthy didn't want to go through the agility tunnel and the trainer kept insisting on trying, the poor dog was like hanging from its prong collar fighting to avoid it! So sad
I go to Plainfield for agility, Kirkland and Grayslake for IPO and Rock Falls for dock diving.
Where are you located?
Patty and Ice
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

I go to Plainfield for agility, Kirkland and Grayslake for IPO and Rock Falls for dock diving.
Where are you located?
I'm currently in Evanston, however on weekends traffic isn't too bad and could consider any of those. Thank you for the info.
ICE
Training Dog

Post by ICE »

sent you a PM Duke
Patty and Ice