Training focus: Leash obedience

General issues of training/education
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Training focus: Leash obedience

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

We had SO much fun at training today. The new martingale and leash is different and so instead today we practiced leash obedience. He caught on so fast! Kapena likes our trainer, which is unusual because he doesn't generally take commands from others and isn't interested in their approval. He is so interested in his approval without any food reinforcement! Even if correction is necessary, he watches him intently, and wags when he gets it right. It was so great to watch him build confidence!

This week Kapena suddenly decided previously unfrightening things are scary. First, it was a rustling trash bag. Then he growled at a reflection on the fridge. His hairs went up like a jackal and his eyes got crazy. I immediately put him on leash and approached it. Once I realized it was the shadows and light on the fridge we dropped treats, approached, got treat, and repeat. The first time he scratched the crap out of my back because he got spooked and suddenly tried to climb me like a tree. This is a new behavior that I told our trainer about so he has us doing homework all week.

We played on the agility course! I can't figure out how to post videos here but we jumped through the window and up and down the steep ramps! He looooooves showing off. He gets prancy like a little horse in a ring. It's pretty great.
FB_IMG_1504388971899.jpg
FB_IMG_1504388971899.jpg (526.93 KiB) Viewed 2487 times
FB_IMG_1504388927063.jpg
FB_IMG_1504388927063.jpg (282.99 KiB) Viewed 2487 times
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Re: Training focus: Leash obedience

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

Just as an idea of Kapena's drive and energy. We got done with three hours at training at 4 pm. By 6 we'd had another play/train session. Husband left and came back, I put him on leash and used the new leash training. Worked perfect.

At 7:00 we play frisbee toss over the couch. He of course, did fancy catching and showed off. 8 is dinner don't be late. He already went out, but was acting strange and lurching at the leash. I corrected him not realizing he was trying to signal for a potty walk. Peed on the floor. My bad. Dawn and vinegar.

Ate dinner, then sat in crate till 8:40. Shishi break then outside for some more play. Ball toss, take it, bring it, drop it. Finally he's down for a nap. Final session before bed, we decided on leash walk for correction reinforcement. Ah, the life of a DS owner is so glamorous.
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

awesome stuff !!!!!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

I would love to be able to have a schedule like yours. My world is always upside down. I have to work it out for each day.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Good job by the way.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG