Ugh the biting!Help!

General issues of training/education
Thanatos
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My name is Sierra and I have 4 dogs! The newest member to the pack is Thanatos, my DS/MalX. This is my first working pup I am raising(also my first Dutch). I also have a working line German Shepherd, GSD mix and a Siberian Husky. I like to do sleddog sports and am interested in protection sports and agility as well.

Ugh the biting!Help!

Post by Thanatos »

Hello! It's been a little over a week since I got Thanatos and since then he has gotten really good at sit, come and potty training. He is having problems with down but we are working on it. The biggest problem I have currently is the biting and nipping. I was told by couple of people and have read lots of articles that I shouldn't correct it or it'll destroy his drive. I have also since been given advice to redirect him to a toy or put him in a sit, which occasionally works. He always loves to latch on to me when I tell him to come or when he goes outside and I'm not sure what else to do! I understand this is going to happen as he is very much a Veloceraptor but is there anything that I should be doing? or shouldn't be? My hands look like they got caught in the garbage disposal :lol: !
Any advice would help!
P.S. I am planning on taking him to a trainer once I find one that has working dog experience and isn't hours away( Thanatos also has to wait for all of his shots as well).
Sierra: the human
Thanatos: Dutch/Mal X
Goliath: GSD mutt mix
Mishka: SIberian Husky
Mesha: GSD
"I may know alot but I will never know enough!"
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Ugh the biting!Help!

Post by centrop67 »

Thanatos wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:26 am I have also since been given advice to redirect him to a toy or put him in a sit, which occasionally works.
Redirection is the absolute right answer. Keep it up and keep it consistent. You have to make the toy more fun than biting you, and you have to be prepared at all times to have it available.

Putting him in a sit is no fun for him, so he's not going to understand.

Where are you located? Perhaps, someone here has some advice on a trainer.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers