Training tips or tricks?

General issues of training/education
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Training tips or tricks?

Post by centrop67 »

What is one tip or trick that helps make training your dog effective? What didn't work?
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Training tips or tricks?

Post by TimL_168 »

Duplicitous use of healthy, athletic squirrels has worked extremely well.
Slow, sickly squirrels have not provided good results in training.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

TimL_168 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:26 pm Duplicitous use of healthy, athletic squirrels has worked extremely well.
Slow, sickly squirrels have not provided good results in training.
Hahaha
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Finding out what your dog considers a high value reward helps. Trying to use kibble or food or a toy your dog isn’t interested in obviously makes it harder for them to stay focused. I’m now finding out that Zoey stays more focused on me when working on focused heel with a ball rather than the tug.

If I could start over again I would have began on full on engagement from the beginning. Would have made her learning the focused heel a lot easier and more solid.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas