Training Costs?

General issues of training/education
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Training Costs?

Post by centrop67 »

"You need a trainer" is a typical response - especially to newbies - here on the forum.

That said, what can someone expect to pay for a trainer?

Is it always time-based (i.e. hourly, daily, weekly)?

Are they sometimes/also based on types of training?
* Basic Obedience
* Protection
* Sport
* Behavior Modification
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Re: Training Costs?

Post by borellar15 »

I think in this situation, with this breed, if you’re looking at a good trainer, you can expect to pay around 600-800 per week for board and train programs. You get what you pay for with training. Try and go cheap and the training you get may not be as solid as you had hoped.

I don’t think most trainers usually tack on extra for behavior modification but I guess in some instances they might. I would expect extra for added training for protection or sport though for sure.

Also might find cheaper for basic imprinting and house manners type of training. I would do that stuff before 6 months tho and everything after would recommend higher level obedience training especially for this breed.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

borellar15 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:03 pm ...for board and train programs.
I think some people would prefer the train-me training, but I guess that has a lot more to do with how much time you have.
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Echo
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: New owner of an Dutch Shep - ECHO
I thought it was only right to join the Forum and become part of the Fam

Post by Echo »

I would love to hear people’s thoughts on group training, since there are a lot of those around here.

??
Mat
Echo - 2 months
Forged in a fire lit long ago, stand next to me you'll never stand alone...
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

centrop67 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:30 pm
borellar15 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:03 pm ...for board and train programs.
I think some people would prefer the train-me training, but I guess that has a lot more to do with how much time you have.
Yea. It has exactly to do what how much time you have. I think some people think that’s what they want, then don’t end up working the dog enough and don’t know why they’re not getting results. I would say if you have the time and are actually going to put the effort into it and work your dog at least 3-4 times a day then go for it, if not then I would board if you seriously want/need results.
Image Image
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

Echo wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:46 am I would love to hear people’s thoughts on group training, since there are a lot of those around here.

??
Group training is for proofing of what you’re dog has learned in training. You want to train your dog and have a solid foundation before going to group classes. Then bring them into group classes where there are distractions and other dogs around helps to teach them that they need to ignore the distractions and still pay attention and listen to you. Group classes aren’t for initial learning of commands.
Image Image
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Ditto^
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Still looking for a ballpark on what training should,could cost...
Michael
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

There is now way to provide any ball park or any idea of what training will cost for someone. it is the area, what you want, who you train with, what you want to do.

But like anything, dont go cheap, not with this breed. This is not a breed to mess with. It should be where the hander AND the dog get training.

I never did group training, I had groups of humans but we always put our dogs up in the crates in the training "house" until it was time for us to go on the field and work with the decoy. But I was doing Ring sport. When we were working on OB, there were a few of us at a time on the field and we were only doing OB, the decoys were not out yet.

You may have to travel to get a good trainer for this breed.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

centrop67 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:09 pm Still looking for a ballpark on what training should,could cost...
I still think for a trainer you’re going to pay 600-800 per week for a board and train for however many weeks you decide. I would say 3 weeks is a good solid board and train program. So split the difference at 700 x 3 = $2100 at least. I sent Zoey for 2 week program at six months for $700 a week and then she just got done with her 30 day program that was $2700 sooo I’ve paid in total now $4100 for training. That’s not including all my own man hours in training I did with her in between those programs.

I think if you want to go the teach you way you’re gonna be looking at probably $125 roughly per private lesson. A lot of trainers will cut you a small deal if you buy a week or 5 days worth of lessons.

Hope that helps.
Image Image