Social and well behaved 10 wk old

Dree_19
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Sporting a 3 pack on New England's coast.

Social and well behaved 10 wk old

Post by Dree_19 »

I'm curious to learn about typical behavior of 8-12 week old DS pups. From what I've researched and read here I was expecting a tyrant that is going to be difficult to socialize and dislike anyone but "his person". I assume it is going to take some time for him to figure out who he will bond to the most between my husband and I, so far showing he understands I am his caregiver, and that he listens to me during the day and when dad comes home he works him and does more to bring out his drives and build bitework. I do a lot of OB training throughout the day and help with the bitework as his handler. He loves all 3 of my kids and listens to each one equally. He walks off leash around our small town and enjoys meeting other well behaved dogs and people/children alike. Although we don't encourage meeting everyone, if someone asks we have taught him to sit patiently and "say hello". He generally isn't interested in people or dogs on our "off leash" walks and follows us in his "fuss" position. Having had 2 working and PPD trained GSD's in the past, we have treated West like a dog not a baby and expected good behavior from the start.

Now for the question- am I delusional to think this "good" behavior will last? Did I just happen to strike gold and get matched with the best dog for our needs? Or is this just the bonding period where he is trying to please and wants to do well for us? He is excellent with positive reinforcement, takes to treat reinforcement well when he is hungry, and knows when it's time to be quiet, settle and be the "house pet" (that we were not expecting but gladly enjoy). His drives are about 75% and turn on and off when we tell him. We plan on starting some training soon to get him accustomed to agility equipment and some puppy bitework, but wanted to make sure we get through the bonding period first. What are your thoughts about his puppy personality? Is this the "good dog" phase that will soon disappear or do I have a well rounded little guy that could stay this way? Either way we knew what to expect as for a typical DS personality, but I feel like we got one who can actually be a member of our human pack as well as work for us when it's time. Love to hear opinions/experiences on how he might change or stay the same!!
"West" (Vrijheid's Xtreme DOB 4/9/17)
"Easton" (DDR GSD DOB 5/18/17)
"Chase" (Yorkanian?)
RIP Rocco & Lia GSD
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Social and well behaved 10 wk old

Post by Dutchringgirl »

You are off to a great training start. Not encouraging meeting everyone is great and training him to sit while people pass and focus on you is great as well. They are meant to ignore the surroundings and focus on the handler and protect you. You are on the right track. well done !! So refreshing to hear.

You are not delusional, you are training him the right way. that is how I trained Thalie who is now 15. She ignored everyone and everything and focused on me. We could walk through crowds of all sorts of noise and happenings and she would stay glued to my leg and focus on me and where we were going.

It sounds more like you are doing an excellent job of training. there is no striking gold, there are awesome humans who train the dog properly.

That is not to say that you may see some changes as he grows, more protection changes, barking at leaves and funny things as he learns who he is in the world and his job of protecting you. As long as you stay on this great training path, you should be fine.

When I had Thalie as a pup, it was just me training her, so she bonded to me only and will not take direction from anyone. When I got Sadie as a pup, I made sure she would take direction from the rest of my family. I have my kids work with her too. Saide is bonded to me but listens wonderfully to the other family members too.

So far you are doing right by him. Keep it up
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Dree_19
Puppy

Post by Dree_19 »

Oh that is so good to hear! We spoke to the breeder multiple times before we got him and she was really clear on what we wanted out of a dog. Not to say if we ended up with a different more "typical DS" personality we were prepared for that as well. How soon do you think we should bring him to the training facility to do some fun puppy agility confidence stuff? I know any serious training should wait until he is more confident and knows the basics clearly. I don't want to do too much too soon. Plus, he is perfect off leash but a stubborn little donkey on leash still. He won't move! As soon as the leash comes off he is ready to walk nicely. :roll:
"Chase" (Yorkanian?)
RIP Rocco & Lia GSD
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

yes, seriouse stuff can wait a bit, but keep up with the basics, sit, stay waiting. teach him "Look" and " leave it" You can show him some agility stuff, if you have a tube, let him play in it and check it out. If you have a board on the ground that he can just walk on and over. If he wont move on a leash, keep the leash on so it becomes normal for him. Put it on in the house and just ignore it.
ImageImage
Dree_19
Puppy

Post by Dree_19 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:06 pm If he wont move on a leash, keep the leash on so it becomes normal for him. Put it on in the house and just ignore it.
He's had a leash on inside since we brought him home! I think maybe he associates that with indoor behavior and that's why he just lays there. Even with a long line! Something to work on for sure.
"Chase" (Yorkanian?)
RIP Rocco & Lia GSD
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

hahahah could be. keep it on him and put a second leash on to go outside and to do other stuff. sometimes, just put it on, take it off, put it on, take it off, you want the leash to not have any meaning.
ImageImage
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

I'm happy you have a great dog, Dree! I literally feel the exact same way and have implemented some of the exact same thoughts, treating the dog as a dog since day one, focusing on me in our walks [on/off] leash, sitting when being greeted, not bombarding out of the crate, not walking in front of me at the door.

you're teaching your dog manners :)
Dree_19
Puppy

Post by Dree_19 »

Duke wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:57 pm I'm happy you have a great dog, Dree! I literally feel the exact same way and have implemented some of the exact same thoughts, treating the dog as a dog since day one, focusing on me in our walks [on/off] leash, sitting when being greeted, not bombarding out of the crate, not walking in front of me at the door.

you're teaching your dog manners :)
I strongly believe training is not just something you do with a pup to learn a few commands. It is part of the daily and lifelong time spent with my dogs. I am no expert on the working dog even if West is my forth, and I am about to add my fifth. Each day I learn something new along with my dogs. The best advice so far that I learned the hard way (with my yorkie-pom mix but probably breed related) is that I will never begin training a pup to walk on a leash outside. Meaning, when we go out for potty or to play in the yard or just to spend some time training, I won't have the pup on leash. I want him to learn everything good and fun comes form me, to follow me and to go where I go. We can walk through town with West off leash and around people and other dogs and his focus is on us and only us, unless we stop to talk to someone or let him greet a person or dog under our command and his sitting calmly. Because we worked off leash from the beginning it took him a bit longer to get used to walking on leash when necessary, but I'd MUCH rather it happen this way than the other way around. We can't let our toy mix off a long line even in the house because if a door is cracked an inch he is gone. Working on this too-but it's taken a looong time for him to now wait at the door to be released.

If that's the best advice I can give today then there it is! He is just an all around awesome dog and can't wait to start some formal training with him. He is going to be a force! I don't know how many people (dogs) are on instagram, but someone should start a thread where we can introduce our dog's IG handle. I think that would be fun and I've actually "bumped" into a follower from here recognizing West from my pics! It is hard for me to post pics here because every time I try the file is too big-and not so computer savvy to try and reduce or even attempt. IG would be a fun way to stay updated with pics of our pups' activities!
"Chase" (Yorkanian?)
RIP Rocco & Lia GSD
Dree_19
Puppy

Post by Dree_19 »

And!!!! Picking up my NEW addition tomorrow! We will be adding Easton the DDR GSD to our two pack in the morning. I am ecstatic and can not wait. He is the last link to my late Rocco (best dog ever) through Easton's mother (Rocco's half sister) He is an adorable fluff ball. He is mostly black with tan legs and looks like a cuddly stuffed toy. But as we all know, that only lasts for about a month :( Will {try} and post a pic-hopefully it works. If not you can all see him at west.the.dutchshepherd on IG
"Chase" (Yorkanian?)
RIP Rocco & Lia GSD
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

Dree_19 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:29 pm I don't know how many people (dogs) are on instagram, but someone should start a thread where we can introduce our dog's IG handle. I think that would be fun and I've actually "bumped" into a follower from here recognizing West from my pics! It is hard for me to post pics here because every time I try the file is too big-and not so computer savvy to try and reduce or even attempt. IG would be a fun way to stay updated with pics of our pups' activities!
I'll start the thead. be sure to post yours
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Duke wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:30 pm
Dree_19 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:29 pm I don't know how many people (dogs) are on instagram, but someone should start a thread where we can introduce our dog's IG handle. I think that would be fun and I've actually "bumped" into a follower from here recognizing West from my pics! It is hard for me to post pics here because every time I try the file is too big-and not so computer savvy to try and reduce or even attempt. IG would be a fun way to stay updated with pics of our pups' activities!
I'll start the thead. be sure to post yours
Dree and I follow each other on ig already I'll post mine when you start the thread