Too cool for school

Malapterus
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Proud new owner of Schneider, male black brindle shorthair from Alpha K9 Kennels

Too cool for school

Post by Malapterus »

Our 15-ish-week old male DS Schneider is the calmest puppy I have ever seen. He doesn't bark unless he gets frustrated at a toy, he doesn't jump on strangers, or bark when someone knocks. He doesn't bark and howl at the fire trucks and noisy trains that go by. He doesn't charge at other dogs or growl when you get near his food or any of the normal rambunctious excited dog behaviors I have seen in every other dog ever.

This is great! My vet says he's fine, no problems - he's just laid back and I should be happy I have him - and I really am, but, there's a problem.

He's too calm to train! He doesn't get excited or upset at "NO!" or "BAD!" Taps on the nose and swats on the haunch do not phase him. I'd certainly never hit him hard enough to injure him, but I know those slaps on the butt I get him have to be noticeable but he just turns it into a game.

Are there any tips on some negative reinforcement I can use with this boy? I don't want to hurt him, of course, or make him sick. I also do not want to use his crate as a form of punishment - it's the only thing he dislikes and I want him to get comfortable in there for the night. Right now I am considering a spray bottle with something unpleasant in it, or maybe a dog whistle, but I really have no idea. How can I get the message across to this pup?

The behaviors that are problematic right now are: 1) Biting clothes 2) barking at night in his crate (this has been improving with repeated crate acclimation) 3) carrying off his food bowls (the dog can pick up any bowl, he is some sort of savant) 4) peeing by the door 5) snapping at faces.

I'm sure there are more but not many; he really is a good boy overall. He likes to play-chew on out hands but I'm not going to hassle him much over that because he's a teething puppy & I read the collared scholar article on it.
Malapterus
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Too cool for school

Post by Dutchringgirl »

A crate is never used as punishment. Put some of your clothing in there and a safe toy he likes and you can feed him in there too so he learnes its a nice place to go. I hate the spray bottle idea.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Malapterus
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Proud new owner of Schneider, male black brindle shorthair from Alpha K9 Kennels

Post by Malapterus »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:19 pm A crate is never used as punishment. Put some of your clothing in there and a safe toy he likes and you can feed him in there too so he learnes its a nice place to go. I hate the spray bottle idea.
the crate's not the problem and will not be used as punishment - at best for a 'time out' when he gets too excitable or cranky.

Do you know of any good ways to correct him?
Malapterus
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

He should be kept on a leash and attatched to you at all times or in crate if you need to do stuff and cant have him with you. Then you can be right on top of it when he does something you do not want him to do. For biting, you can redirect him. Teaching him "out" and "leave it" are always good as well. The crate barking , you will just have to ingore and deal with until he gets over it. :pint: :pint: :pint:
does he carry off his food bowl during eating? If not, dont bother with that. Sadie has always carried bowls all over the place. She brings me the water bowl when its empty.

How often does he go out? Have a party when he goes outside and does his thing, maybe the peeing at the door is he cant wait? Take him out often enough, he is a baby, I start at 1/2 hour then slowly add 15 minutes, as he gets older.

Dont put your face in his faace and he cant snap at it :DSlove:

Do you have a trainer? If not, get one asap
ImageImage
Malapterus
Just Whelped

Post by Malapterus »

The problem is he does not particularly care if it empty or not and I don't want him dumping them out, or carrying them off and chewing on them.

I don't suppose I have a specific problem I am trying to solve; I am trying to figure out how to communicate 'No!' to him, because saying it to him in any tone or volume doesn't have any effect.
Malapterus
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Malapterus wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:48 pm The problem is he does not particularly care if it empty or not and I don't want him dumping them out, or carrying them off and chewing on them.

I don't suppose I have a specific problem I am trying to solve; I am trying to figure out how to communicate 'No!' to him, because saying it to him in any tone or volume doesn't have any effect.
I have metal bowls so the only bad thing is when Sadie drops it,

Do you have a trainer? It would be a good idea to get one.
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:11 pm
Malapterus wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:48 pm The problem is he does not particularly care if it empty or not and I don't want him dumping them out, or carrying them off and chewing on them.

I have metal bowls so the only bad thing is when Sadie drops it,

Do you have a trainer? It would be a good idea to get one.

What she said