Kids, trespassing, and getting bit..

Kenda
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi from Oklahoma! I have 2 outstanding Dutchies, a snarly dachshund, and 3 horses! I love long walks on the beach.. oops wrong kind of about section! ;) Seriouslyy though, I'm kinda new to the breed, just about a year, and we love taking our animals on trips, hiking, etc.

Kids, trespassing, and getting bit..

Post by Kenda »

Ok, i have a hypothetical..

I live in a neighborhood with 6 ft wooden fencing. The neighbor behind me has at least 2 young kids- under 12, probably. We’ve told the parents to not let their kids and friends reach over, under, or through the fence, because Max is very territorial, and will not hesitate to bite. They said ok. They have pits, that run the fence line, bark, and raise a ruckus. Mine do not. Today, 4 kids were standing on the electrical box in their yard, hanging over the fence, beating on it, and were literally 6 inches away from being scarred for life. Max was intently focused, waiting on the kids to lean a little further. Shadow barked, and we looked outside, and called him away. Max isnt sweet. Max doesnt see children, he sees agressors.

Should i get a letter and take it to the parents that say i warned them and have them sign it? Summer is coming, and the kids will get hurt if the parents don’t watch them. Not sure what to do here. We never leave the dogs outside except to do their business, without supervision. While Max doesn’t scale fnces unless commanded, Shadow could. This occured in less than 10 minutes. I dont want the kids hurt, but seriously? Shouldnt the parents take some responsibility after i repeatedly told them over the fall not to let their kids place limbs into our yard? Max was looking to eat a hand tonight. :huh: :huh:
Kenda/mom/pack leader
Mike/OH/pack leader mate
Lovie/snarly 7 year old dachschund who sleeps, eats, pees, and snarls
Shadow/ gorgeous 9 month old puppy Dutch Shepherd female
Max/newest pack member, 4-6 year old male Dutch Shepherd
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Kids, trespassing, and getting bit..

Post by TimL_168 »

I don't know about where you live, but around here it's just a knee-jerk reaction to euthanize the dog. You're going to be looking at their story vs... well, your lack of one. Are cameras in your budget? At least that might help in court. Maybe ask a lawyer if a certified letter warning them of the danger would help.
I've always held the position that fences are there to keep people out, and not the dogs in. It seems like you hold the same opinion.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Kenda
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi from Oklahoma! I have 2 outstanding Dutchies, a snarly dachshund, and 3 horses! I love long walks on the beach.. oops wrong kind of about section! ;) Seriouslyy though, I'm kinda new to the breed, just about a year, and we love taking our animals on trips, hiking, etc.

Post by Kenda »

Yeah, I hate to be mean about it, but it really pisses me off because we are rehabbing Max’s aggression, and this doesn’t help. Max isn’t a cute looking, cuddly type of dog. He looks mean, he looks dangerous, and he can back it up. Shadow is much sweeter looking. But still she doesn’t look entirely friendly, like a Lhasa Apso or a fuzzy Pomeranian. But he was fully ready to eat a child. And with them beating on my side of the fence, can’t entirely blame him.
Kenda/mom/pack leader
Mike/OH/pack leader mate
Lovie/snarly 7 year old dachschund who sleeps, eats, pees, and snarls
Shadow/ gorgeous 9 month old puppy Dutch Shepherd female
Max/newest pack member, 4-6 year old male Dutch Shepherd
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Can you extend the fence up? Or make your yard a bit shorter by adding a fence inside your yard? I think the camera is a great idea. Also if the children do that same stuff again maybe record it and show the parents what it’s like from your side. The children taunting the dog even if they don’t mean too. You have a dog for protection and he is ready to do his job in his yard. Show them that your dogs don’t run the fence while theirs do. Not sounding like you have to be jerks because I don’t even see that coming from your post. Just showing the parents that you also care about their children but want each side of the dense to have fairness in each yard safely.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

No, you know the dog will bite and it did. Unfortunately you may be the one in hot water. They could come after you for neglect. It is up to you to make sure Max does not bite, even if someone comes on your property.

I would talk to a lawyer ASAP and see if you can prove that the kids knew that the dog would bite and if YOU can prove they provoked the dog. It is he said she said now with out signs that the dog may bite.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

It's very simple dont have the dog out unsupervised and if you see the kids going to mess with him yell and them and tell their parents to please keep the kids on their side of the fence... or put up a run for him so this doesn't happen... honestly I'd put up a run to be safe... anything else is just and you are just asking for trouble... kids will be kids and dont deserve to get bit by a dog...
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Panchovilla
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Retired software engineer, now volunteer. I have a one year old Dutchie named Burt. He’s training in sports, dock diving, and therapy. He gives me new purpose and I love the rambunctious lil-big guy.

Post by Panchovilla »

The only real choice you have is to see to it that he is supervised. No matter what happens, you will be held responsible and the dog accountable. It would be very sad if the dog had a “bite” on his record.

Have you considered protection/sport training? It sure sounds like he loves offense 😊, and if it’s something he’d excel at, you could couple it with protection training. Too often we dog owners try to modify this behavior rather than exploiting. This is especially true with Dutchies, and it sure sounds like he loves it. It’s tge prey behavior and he sounds wonderful. Just have to let him know what is prey and when he can pursue it.

I recently changed course with my 1 year beautiful boy. I had hoped to pursue therapy certification, as this is something that I would love to do, but his aggressive posture and random lunges has left me to pursue Protection Sport training. He’s been a few times to our local club and he loves it, and if he loves it we’re going to do.

My thought on the training is to give him the knowledge of what he can do only when I tell him. He’ll be confident and controlled. In he case of Max, he’d be in control and would look to you for direction.

Remember, we are responsible for what our dog does. Best of luck.

Burt-Da-Flurt
Panchovilla
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Retired software engineer, now volunteer. I have a one year old Dutchie named Burt. He’s training in sports, dock diving, and therapy. He gives me new purpose and I love the rambunctious lil-big guy.

Post by Panchovilla »

You might also think about an electric border fence 6’ from the outer fence
Burt-Da-Flurt
trapulica
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm from Croatia, after 2x German shepherd and Bernese Mountain Dog. Now I'm owner of Dutch Shepherd. My dog ''ZIP'' is born on 23 August 2016

Post by trapulica »

Hi

I will join this discussion , the parents is sometimes very funny and irresponsible.
Two weeks ago I was in garden washing my car , dog was behind me on two meters. I sit in the car to clean inside and put my head down near seats. After 30 seconds explosion of behaviour from ZIP.
Guy with children 4-5 years old come near my fence and children bring some puppy or similar and put her hand inside garden over fence and of course kid screaming . I jumped out of car and yell ''stop go away'' and to ZIP, NO everything happens so fast in m/s .

I told to gay I have 3 plate with warning is that not enough ??? Fucking idiot ask me what kind of dog is ZIP? I told police dog and finally he goes away.
This is situation which is very often, now I install also video surveillance with 3 cams and recording and storage of 30 days.

What to say horror of behavior from people.
Law in Croatia is also funny dog is always guilty- dog can't attack people irrelevant if he bite in garden, house or street.
My ZIP is now 22 Month old, no jokes, aggressive on unknown people and off all kind , type of animal ( dogs, cats, birds, even small lizard what is in garden ,but for example he remembered one lady when he was just 5 month old and after more than year she comes again to our home, ZIP was crying like baby when he saw her.

I really don't want to think what can be to someone unknown to enter our properties , especially over night when he is out of box, free in garden.

But when you enter my property with me and sit to drink Coke or etc,, no problem he is very cuddly .

What is new around 2 mounts in behavior is that the unknown can't come closer to me , ( outside for example on the beach or street ) he is ready to attack I must to put him on ground.

Brother of my Wife is ex military dog trainer now we are going to put this aggression on lower level , now or never.
My ZIP is pure KNPV dog.
For safety next week I will order muzzle.

Also what make me nervous and unacceptable behaviour from owners is dog walking without leash on street.
Because of above mentioned I bought Frontiersman Bear Spray , only used once when we were attacked from one mixed breed - big one.

For the end DS dog is not for fun, but so much love and happiness when I come home after work till now I never seen