Shadow chasing?

kimkim
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have a 3yr old dutchie that I titled to FR1, and had to switch to PSA due to a military move.

Shadow chasing?

Post by kimkim »

So my dad had a great idea a when Em was a pup to show her a laser pointer.... :shock: Not so good afterall... Now she looks for shadows on anything in the evening time. of course with a ball in her mouth at all times. Anyone else have that problem?
Kim
ImageEmberImageDukeImageBabalu
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Shadow chasing?

Post by leih merigian »

No, but 1) my puppy is only 23 weeks old, and 2) I am very careful about this kind of thing. These DS seem prone to OCD type behaviors to begin with, so I don't encourage anything that could move in that direction.

Sorry your dad got that going with your girl. Perhaps in time it'll wear off...(one can hope!)
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

kimkim wrote: Anyone else have that problem?
:mrgreen:

http://www.streepjes.com/albums/Ivil/sl ... 20035.html
(doesn't work as an img tag?? so click to see the pic)
kimkim
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have a 3yr old dutchie that I titled to FR1, and had to switch to PSA due to a military move.

Post by kimkim »

Leih
It has been 2 years since that happened... I saw an episode of its me or the dog where a dog had the same problem. All she did was whenever the dog got in the shadow/refection mode, she would make a noise with her mouth like "bah bah bump", and get the dog to do something else like sit or down. Of course that does not work with extremely high drive dogs:( well it works for a couple seconds, but right back at it again. At least she only does this at home and mostly in the evening. She looks for shadows on the walls caused by reflections from anything, even when cars drive by and the lights shine in through the windows, from the water dish when I fill/clean it and so on.
Marjolein
That is funny! I am trying to figure out how to post pictures also...
Kim
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

kimkim wrote:Leih
At least she only does this at home and mostly in the evening.
That's good!

I know these dogs are scary smart and can develop behaviors with single exposures to stimuli...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
kimkim
Puppy

Post by kimkim »

Ember is like a kid... so smart it is scary. I know I will never have another dog like her, kind of sad when I think of not having her around:(. She follow me everywhere.
Kim
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

I saw this behaviour (shadow chasing/chasing laser pointer light) on a Dog Whisperer show, and Cesar would correct the dog whenever it would become focused on the shadow or pointer to let the dog know NOT to do it.

Also, I found when my dog gets too focused on something, I give her another "job" to focus on, something I find ok for her to do. Sit and stay is a good "job" that works well for me, so the combination of letting her know what she can't do and redirecting the energy into something else has worked for us. Hope that helps you out :)
Sue (and Sugar)