Separation Anxiety

staggs4js
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I just rescued a Dutch Shepard Puppy from a shelter 2 months ago and I would like some support.

Separation Anxiety

Post by staggs4js »

My DS Nina is approx 11 months old.
We got her from a shelter at 5 months old. She was "incarcerated" since 6-8 weeks old
She was extremely timid and anxious.
That is slowly going away- though inside the house she is just so weird! Another topic.

We crate trained her. She is house trained and will come and tell me if she has to go.
I take her on a run/walk every morning and night at least 2 miles most days.
She goes to an amazing dog daycare once a week, and we go to the beach where she plays wonderfully with other dogs at least 3 x a week. and we RUN HER!
She has chew toys, bones, etc.
We work on discipline ( she still will not "come" !) and she is extremely smart!

So-
The issue that my family shares with me is that the minute I leave the house (I am her primary person I guess) She goes into my room. jumps on the bed and waits for me to come home.
The kids ( 17,18 & 20) and my husband can get her out to go pee but she is withdrawn and timid- unless she is brought to be around other dogs.And will immediately go back to my room.
My kids take her on "playdates" sometimes just to get her out of my room while I am gone.

I work 7:30-5:00 4 days a week. and sometimes I go out at night with friends.
Any suggestions?
( We want to get another dog to keep her company- and I am not ready for another dog right now.)
Help.
We are all so bummed for her.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Separation Anxiety

Post by Dutchringgirl »

For her reacall. Put her on a long line, and say " Nina Come!" have a great reward for her. If she dosnt come, give her a tug to come to you, then when she comes, have a huge party. Do this a gazillion times.

As far as the separation, have you tried leaving for 5 minutes, then coming back. while your gone, have your family members super entertain her. Then slowly go longer and longer.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
staggs4js
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I just rescued a Dutch Shepard Puppy from a shelter 2 months ago and I would like some support.

Post by staggs4js »

Thanks Lisa,
I can leave for short times- but if I go for a long period she withdraws and becomes indifferent to people and won't engage, won't play or take cookies or treats even! Our family ( the kids of course) thinks another dog would help her with that- and I am not sure if I am up for having 2 dogs yet.

I will continue to work w/ the recall and throw a party when she comes to me :)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Try just increasing the time and have others engage with her alot. Its something that should be an ongoing practice to get her to take her mind off of you. New toys that she may like, bones to chew on, make her life super duper fun when you are not around. If you are not up to having a second dog, then dont, you have no idea how that will go and if you are not up to it, that will make it all worse.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage