aggression????

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: aggression????

Post by Dutchringgirl »

My vet dosnt put the muzzle on tight, just enough for a quick whatever they have to do.

I didnt read through all of the new posts yet, but I want to agree with Steph, on not correcting but prevented. Growling and such is communication, they are telling us something, now of course, depending on what that is, it is up to us to figure that out. Why is he showing teeth. does it need to be corrected or is there something you can stop or change. At night Sadie is cranky and wants to be left a lone, she will give a growl to say, " you are too close, dont play with me" I respect that. Maybe if she didnt have hip problems, I wouldnt take it, but I know if I am ouchy at the end of the day, id want to be left alone too.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

H won't let anyone get near him with a grooming tool unless he can see, mouth, and lick the brush about to be put on him. I'm the same way at the dentist, minus the whole mouthing and licking part, but I HAVE to know what's about to be put into my mouth. He'll sometimes squirm mainly because he's being bratty but he accepts it and a quick "cut it out" will stop him if he decides to try to throw a fit. The boy likes his mud apparently.

I also just bought a full on leather muzzle for him, but had it painted since everyone here freaks that a dog wears a muzzle. I think we put super hero symbols all over it; something fun and ridiculous for the general public. Just like the cone of shame I started conditioning him to it and so far it's working really well. Besides sport work, H HAS to be muzzled if we go to the emergency vet because he still loathes men in scrubs. I also figured it would be best to be really comfortable in a muzzle of his choosing before we need it than to need it and try working with it on the spot. Only reason I went with full leather versus basket is because knowing him he's find a way to somehow get something stuck in the basket.

Furminators are also wonderful. I think I got an off brand off Amazon that's my all time favorite - I've used Furminators on him but I seem to always break the blades. *facepalm* He gets a curry comb or a shedding blade weekly for shedding times and usually just a bristle brush or curry comb for non-shedding times. Best thing ever for him is full on deep massage during bath time with my fingers, shedding blade, blow out, shedding blade, more massage, and blow out. Takes a bit but the fur stays put for a bit!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

I wanted to give an update on our issue. The ear cleaning seems to be fine. I tried a different type and have had no problems. Maybe the other stuff burned or tingle or something. The brushing is better. The furminator type brush works well for getting the fur out but I still get a reaction if it snags and pulls. I've definitely decided it is a pain response and does seem to be directed towards the brush. If he nips at the brush and I put my hand out he licks my hand. I still haven't figured out how to stop the nip and I'm trying to be careful on how I handle it. I'm thinking maybe he has a low pain tolerance. I can rub him, play with his ears and toes, even grab his tail like a little kid would and he is fine. But anything that causes the slightest bit of pain there is a reaction. Which would explain the vet issue when he gets shots. This is a tough one. We have made some progress and if he goes to nip at the brush and I say no bite he stops immediately. I also got some de tangler spray to try to help with the snags.
Karen & Xander
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sadie is super sensitive to brushing too, she HATES it, so I dont do it. She loves scratching so I scratch her back and butt and brush her that way.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

Ok. So I ordered a muzzle and had to send it back. It seemed to tight. From just below his eyes to the tip of his snout is about 4 inches. The diameter around at the thickest part was around 10.5 inches. So do I order slightly larger? I ordered as close as I could get to the exact measurement and it just seemed snug. I didnt strap it on. This observation was based on him sticking his nose in to get the treat out. Any suggestions? Thanks
Karen & Xander
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

karenz wrote:Ok. So I ordered a muzzle and had to send it back. It seemed to tight. From just below his eyes to the tip of his snout is about 4 inches. The diameter around at the thickest part was around 10.5 inches. So do I order slightly larger? I ordered as close as I could get to the exact measurement and it just seemed snug. I didnt strap it on. This observation was based on him sticking his nose in to get the treat out. Any suggestions? Thanks
Do you have a pet store nearby you can try one on at? Even if it's cheaper to order online, it might be a good idea to get an in person fitting first.

How was it too tight if you didn't strap it on? They're made to prevent the dog from getting out and if you get a basket muzzle, it should just be big enough for the dog to breath, pants, drink, take treats, etc. Did you order a baskerville one? Which size did you get?
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
karenz
Training Dog

Post by karenz »

The pet store here only had solid nylon ones. The one I ordered was fine in length but the diameter seemed to tight. Like he wouldn't be able to open his mouth at all. I've decided to call leerburg tomorrow and get there opinion on size and just order one from them even if it's a little more expensive.
Karen & Xander
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

btw, Karen, i did twice write a long and detailed response to your question to me about how i handle vet visits. i had signed in prior to both, but then was told i had to sign in when i tried to post, and both times what i had written was lost. [ sometimes when i need to sign in AGAIN, i can still recover what i wrote, but not in the case of these 2 long posts! ]

anyway, i had written my responses [1 x 2] because i thought there were interesting examples and tales, but i also said that i did not think that my practices [ that lead to my dogs' mostly exceptional behavior at the vet's; tho each of the 3 is VERY different at the vet, none would growl or even think of biting ] are relevant to other dogs/people as so much of what i do is in the immense and odd detail of my interaction with the dogs and derives from my autism and resulting dogness. i do not prepare them specifically for the vet in any way whatsoever; it is the general and very odd experience they get with me that conditions them for the vet.

when there or at a hospital, i am seldom separated from them. i am the person at the dogs head, speaking in a quiet, under-the-breath manner, my face often close to theirs or their faces nestled against my body.

2 of them are very happy to be at the vet's. Xander is undeterred no matter what is done to him. Tracer loves being there until someone besides me puts hands on him, but aside from being a tiny bit squirmy during hands-on, he is very good, and returns to happy the moment hands go back where they belong - OFF HIM! Saki is a nervous wreck at the vet's but otherwise is so docile and cooperative - pretty similar to Xander minus the happiness.
TraceDog was most like Tracer, except he was mostly just fine until shots or drawing of blood [ he did not have such a problem with being touched ]. but as time went on with TD, the level of trust was so high that once he even had invasive work in his abdominal region without sedatives [ a dog would normally have been totally ''under'' for this work, but for various reasons, the hospital and i thought it was best not to do that , especially after i told them we could probably do it without knocking him out if i was present to ''do my thing'' during the procedure]. they knew the extraordinary relationaship we had, but they were terrified for me at times during the sampling of internal organs and eventually pleaded with me to allow a muzzle but without use of a muzzle my face stayed AGAINST TD's and all was well. during his long stay at the hospital, he was often allowed to roam freely. never muzzled, but they really understood him the second time around like few vets would ever understand a dog like him.

it sounds to me like you are or will do just fine with Xander - that you have things tentatively figured out. but if you do want to hear some of my approach to my dogs, send me a message. [ i have occasionally posted a suggestion for someone's behavior problem where i think a piece of what i do might work as a stand-alone bit and/or might blend in with more traditional ''training''. or sometimes, just a bit of off-beat insight as to how i think the dog perceives the situation and how that suggests one should guide the dog to a better outcome. but in most contexts, i think those here who are good at training methods offer advice that is better, more tried-and-true, and offer more effective implementation in most people's lives. and for certain things like fear aggression with other dogs, i would be lost without the advice offered here. so...i really do think i have little to add in practice.]
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka