HELP, Please

Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We have three dogs, the dutch shepherd most recently came to our home. The other dogs are a 6 month old shih Tzu and a 4 year old border collie.

HELP, Please

Post by Newbie »

In May we found a dutch shepherd in an advertisement my husband found. He read up on them and we talked about adding him to our family. Our existing family consisted of us, two older children and two dogs. We talked to the lady who had him and she told us he was originally supposed to be a police dog and that the plan changed for some reason. This would make us his 4th home in his one year of life.(I thought we would be his last home.) She also said he was crate trained. We brought him home and the intro with the other dogs went well and the kids loved him. He seemed happy to be with us also. It did not take long for us to realize that he in fact was not crate trained and hated crates. He destroyed two crates, getting out of them no matter what. When he got out he destroyed chairs, curtains, blankets anything he could find to destroy. Finally we got one of the nearly indestructible ones. He did not destroy it, he did chew the window frame while in the crate. Ultimately we decided that the crate was causing more problems than helping and started letting him and the border collie stay in the house uncrated. This worked for a limited time. In the last two weeks we have come home to find hats shoes and other items chewed. He has learned to open the doors inside this last week and we have been trying to keep them locked so that he would not have access to those rooms. Today I came home with the basement door open, noticed a shredded rug at the bottom of the stairs and upon further investigation discovered that he chewed our new sofa. I buy new toys each week. Sometimes, thinking I may have found one he can't destroy in a matter o minutes but mostly knowing that he will have the squeaker out soon after it is given to him. He and the border collie love to play chase and tug of war. They even lay in the floor so the shih Tzu can get in on the action. I really would like to keep him, I just can't afford to keep replacing furniture, rugs and clothing. If anyone has any insight that could help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for reading my long post.
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Re: HELP, Please

Post by LyonsFamily »

Welcome to the world of Dutch Shepherds! Your dog is bored and needs a job to do. Dutch Shepherds don't make good pets unless they're in a very active home with lots of exercise and work to do. What do you you daily for exercise for your new dog? Do you compete or train in a any sports? Have you worked on any training at all? For a destructive Dutch like that, a real chain link kennel, maybe one with a lid might be your best option if you need to leave him at home. If he's home alone for long periods of time, he's going to get destructive.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We have three dogs, the dutch shepherd most recently came to our home. The other dogs are a 6 month old shih Tzu and a 4 year old border collie.

Post by Newbie »

Thank you for the response. I need to get creative on ways to exercise him. We work long hours and thought the border collie would be a great exercise partner as they chase each other like crazy. Its really funny, he is faster but the collie more agile. I will find new ways to get him exercise. Thanks again/
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

I would agree with LyonsFamily. Lots of exercise and a job. A job doesn't have to be a real job. Just something to keep his mind working. My boy plays fetch a looooot. And while playing with one ball we hide the other one. Then take his away and make him search for the one we hid. It sounds silly but it works. I have been doing a lot of obedience work with him but my mom keeps him during the day so she does silly work with him to keep his mind tired. Do a lot of mental exercise. That seems to keep them sane more than physical exercise. And welcome to the forum. Can we see some pics.... I love pics. :wtg:
Karen & Xander
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

agree with both responses, but wanted to add emphasis so you do not overlook or discount what Karen said: physical exercise is important to tire him out, but unless you have him SWIM a lot every day, it is unlikely he will ever lack the energy to get in trouble. you must exercise his mind! so Stephanie got it succinctly perfect - HE'S BORED - without much elaboration.

up his physical exercise as much as you can [ you will benefit and enjoy it also ], but captivating his mind is imperative. at the very minimum, he needs to get out of his own house and yard and see new places. walking him down different streets will give him new things to see and analyze. take him places.

then there are the games and exercises one can do at home all the time with him, like making him hunt for things, like working to get his food or treats out of a dispenser toy, etc. he is very very smart and takes great pleasure in putting those smarts to work - even if in ways that do not please you. if you can give him even more mental stimulation through activities that do please you [ and he sees that ], he will probably be very satisfied.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

What is your day like? are you gone all day? do you hike, bike ? anything? how old is he? how is he getting along with your other dogs?

You will have your hands full. I have had a dog that was supposed to go to the police but we took him instead. Lots of physical stuff is only part of the equation, they need mental stimulation as well.

I give my two plenty, and I mean PLENTY but one of them [ who shall remain nameless because the pot is waiting] will get into so much trouble if it is not a constant stimulation.

Finding a good trainer who knows this breed is also a good idea, as this is not your average ordinary house dog. You cant train them like you would most other dogs.

This is a breed that was bread to watch sheep all day, moving , watching, thinking, something to do 24/7, that is why they are good for heavy work, police, drug, border patrol, things that require thinking, moving all of the time. So when they sit home all day, they will find their own things to do, and that is shredding, running around, destroying. You cant get mad at them, they know not what they do. they are having a grand time.

Sadie [ soup pot Sadie] used to run so happily around my house with the dog beds then "kill" them. Id have bedding all over. I cant tell you how many beds I went through, and other things. And the rest of us as well.

There is a reason you are his 4th home.

Really think about even putting up an outside kennel for him, then can you do something in the basement so he is there when you are out?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

What everyone said above, but....

Dogs need to be trained! Especially these guys. They're scary smart and problem solvers. They'll rule if you won't. They'll challenge if not treated fairly and with respect. Right now, he has no reason to know what is expected, to respect boundaries b/c he hasn't been shown any, etc, from the sounds of it. He's doing what any dog will do when not given guidance according to the nature of a breed.

Marker training is highly effective, especially with these guys because they are such fast learners. Several small sessions of basic OB to start. You will get out of him whatever you put into him. You put in the time, you'll have the best dog you've ever owned.

That said, he might have some quirks--who of us doesn't? If you work with him and be consistent, you'll find that out and find how to work with them as well.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Post moved to Behavior.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
HeatherH
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Post by HeatherH »

Hi
I'm typing on a phone so forgive any spelling mistakes. I think time and steadiness plays a factor. He does not know you yet and he spending to much times with other dogs. He needs to stay with you more then running with his play mates. You may have to separate play with you to learn you are in charge . I had a stray that returned at 3 times before we got him. I can certainly testify he tried my patience. He pased after 8 years after at age 12. 3months later I couldn't take it and bought Dutch. Once I get a animal I keep it because I can't bare to think of what could happen to it because of its idiosyncrasies.

Training and running with these dogs are a must and chewing is anxiety. We just took Dutch out for 3 1/2 hours after a nap he can go again but we are in charge not him we have stuff to do. Bathos will pass in time with training and a firm hand love a praise.

Chewing try kongs, elk or dear horns. Also with children thaw dog should be with you and not left with the children. It's way too soon .

Good luck
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

EDIT: I meant to say several small basic OB sessions A DAY to start. Meaning also to start with basic OB, but you need move beyond basic. And training is on-going...not just to get him to understand what sit or down means.
steph90
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Stephanie & Kodi

Post by steph90 »

I think something that helps a ton with a DS is structure. People have asked me why I micromanage my dog so much, but they have never seen what he was like before, and how helpful it can be. It also helps with impulse control. Something else I have found with my dog is he is very compliant with what I want and what is acceptable behavior, but I was just never showing him what I wanted in a way he understood. Or, I just told him not to do something but never showed him what to do instead of that. They will destroy, but we have to make it clear to them what is okay to destroy haha. And make sure it is just as rewarding as anything else. You can't communicate that with your dog if you aren't around. The most important things have been said, like mental and physical exercise. Any activity where they can get both of those things at once is a plus IMO. You can also looks up clicker crate games on youtube that can teach your pup how to be comfortable in the crate, and learn to find it enjoyable (this can only happen if he has had enough exercise). My boyfriend's dog is a trouble maker when left alone, but was scared of being in the crate even after a lot of crate games, so we also give him kongs in there, toys, dinner, basically anything good or fun that can fit he gets exclusively in the crate. He now associates it with enjoyable things. If you want these bad behavior to stop you should confine him while you're gone, that way you will be there to correct bad behaviors when they happen, and replace them with ones you want. You can look up just about anything on youtube and find training info on it, if you know what to look for. Youtube has helped me insane amounts with training my dog. You just have to have consistency and dedication! And what others said about ongoing, multiple-times-daily training and exercise. If you are having trouble I would say find a trainer with experience with this type of breed. Hope this has helped, good luck with your pup!
Last edited by steph90 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steph & Kodi from South Florida
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

steph90 wrote: They will destroy, but we have to make it clear to them what is okay to destroy haha.
I really think that is an excellent statement. Destroying is fun for them, they dont know that it was an expensive pair of Prada shoes! They had a blast. I make sure Sadie knows what is okay to touch and what is not okay.

This time of year I always get little pumpkins for the the stairs, no matter what, Sadie cant keep herself from stealing one. So, I decided to give one to each and let them eat them. It seems to have satisfied them. The rest seem to be left alone on the stairs. Saides impulse control is not very good LOL

As long as they can satisfy their needs in a healthy way, they are happy. Its up to us to give them things that are okay for them and show them what they are not allowed to destroy.
ImageImage
steph90
Puppy

Post by steph90 »

Oops, I should have read through the posts more thoroughly! Just wanted to agree with what Heather said too. Unleashing your dog to run and be crazy with your other dog is not a good way to let them burn off steam, especially so early in your relationship when no boundaries have been established. I learned from the knowledgable people on this very forum that you might actually be teaching your dog that when he is feeling hyper or overwhelmed to just be crazy and not pay attention to you or what you are doing, or want him to do. I used to be an avid dog park go-er because I thought it was a good way to socialize my dog while tiring him out, and then I wondered why my dog wouldn't listen off leash or around other dogs or whatever. Now oddly enough he is a huge bully and instigator if allowed off leash with other dogs. * I didn't structure his interactions with them* It took me a long time and a lot of work to backtrack and teach my dog to pay attention to me around other dogs, so I just wanted to strongly agree on that one!
Linda Lew
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hello! I just got my puppy Dutchess (original, I know) and am so excited to raise her. I'm glad I've found this forum, as I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way.

Post by Linda Lew »

Hi Steph,

How did you backtrack on getting Kodi to pay attention around other dogs? I'm having the same problem with mine. She just turned a year old in August, and I made the same mistake about just letting her run loose at the dog beach. Now she's just a jerk to the other dogs. I guess just keeping her on a long lead the whole time?
Linda & Mike
Dutchess the DS
Sunny Bun the orange cat
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Linda, have you taught Kodi to "Look"? that is the best way to keep the dogs attention on you. I would go back to a shorter leash and work alot on your obedience until he is under your control at all times, then you can progress to a longer leash.
ImageImage
Linda Lew
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hello! I just got my puppy Dutchess (original, I know) and am so excited to raise her. I'm glad I've found this forum, as I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way.

Post by Linda Lew »

Thank you, Lisa. You're right - I really need to work on her obedience. I was reading about the head halter in the product reviews and may try that at well. She doesn't care a thing about treats if we're not in the house. I'll post some pictures of Dutchess on here tonight so you all can see what a pretty girl she is. I've been lurking about for a year now! My bad . . .
Linda & Mike
Dutchess the DS
Sunny Bun the orange cat
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

the better the OB the better the dog.
ImageImage
steph90
Puppy

Post by steph90 »

Basic OB is definitely the foundation for good behavior, and training difficult things like counter conditioning. The first thing I did was teach Kodi eye contact, as Lisa suggested. We use a clicker; that is the only way I know how to teach this behavior. At first I would lure Kode's eyes up to mine with a treat, clicking for eye contact. Then you pair the dog's name with the lure, clicking for eye contact. Eventually fade the lure as your dog is reliably making eye contact. Proof the behavior inside, by asking him to hold eye contact while there are distractions around, and asking him to hold eye contact for longer. Once the dog is doing it reliably inside, do this process again in the yard, park, and generalize it to as many areas as possible. Then began asking him to do this while in the shopping center of pet stores, at parks, outside the fence of the dog park, etc. while dogs would be walking in and out. Start from far and work your way closer, if your dog becomes reactive you went too close too soon. Once the dog can maintain attention on you, you can also work on other obedience. Make sure you always practice this in a controlled environment, because just one instance where there is contact with another dog could ruin your practice, and this does take a lot of practice. My dog was doing really well until some jerk let their dog run over to us and Kodi did not like it and barked, and the dog left. This is reinforcing because Kodi got what he wanted by being aggressive. I think he finds acting out on leash in general to be reinforcing, because even an instance like that is more exciting than staring at me (he isn't very food or toy motivated). Which reminds me- use very high value treats for this (real meat, cheese, etc). Sorry for writing so much, want to be as thorough as possible because there are a lot of factors that could affect progress. Hope this helps!