Question on Dutchies temperment

Ace714
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have been into GSD's for a long time, I have a black GS and we are training for Schutzhund. My husband has been a dog trainer for 30+ years. He used to breed Mali's and did Belgian ring for many years back then. Switched to Schutzhund and been doing that ever since, plus of course his training business. I want to lean more about the DS and figure this would be a good place to do that.

Question on Dutchies temperment

Post by Ace714 »

Hi,
My puppy is 4 months old now. When we got him he seemed fine environmentally, a bomb can go off near this dog and he doesn't flinch. BUT people are another thing. He's fine with children, he loves them! And some adults that he already knows, but walking in the street and if someone approaches he's growling and doesn't want to be touched by them. I carry food so the person can offer him something he likes. I live in Brooklyn NY, there are people out all the time. I take him to different places and walk him everyday, and my husband takes him out while I'm at work. He's a dog trainer so he's home during the early afternoon. He gets him out and does socializing exercises with him too. He was better a few weeks ago, just looking at people and all of a sudden last week the growling started. I went to the North East Regional and met a few Dutchie people there, they said it's a faze and not to worry.
I heard Dutch Shepherds can be a bit nervy but everything else is so good about him. I'm working really hard on changing the behavior. So what's the opinions on this kind of thing and has anyone gone through a stage like this. I personally never had it with my GSD's it's strange to me.
ACE - GSD-Black
Sonny BH and Kastar - Mali's
Taz - Dutch Shepherd
HeatherH
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Re: Question on Dutchies temperment

Post by HeatherH »

I' was in Brooklyn in July. Didn't see you. lol

He's young but you might want to use the distratching training and just keep moving. He may grow out of it but traing should start. Then introduce things and people. He may start thinking it's his job. So, what I do is clap or kick at his hind quaters (kick at not mean or make contact) if he gives me a dirty look and tell him to "leave it" and then keep walking.
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I agree with Heather, They are protection dogs remember and as he develops into his own he will realize that his job is to protect you. It is a phase but its only a learning phase and the protection part wont go away, with out proper training, it will get worse and potentially out of hand. I would not allow people to just come up to him until he learns that they are okay, and then on his terms. he may be starting to get overwhelmed with the amount of people he is being walked around, I know Brooklyn and the streets are crowded and people are in a rush and the body language and cues he could be picking up could be very confusing for him.

Starting him in a park or a more quiet street would be my advice and then just walk, no one can pet him or touch him or definitely no treating him. Let him learn to walk comfortably and see that all is well. Having him also sit as people walk by him and ignoring him will show him that people are okay.

A command to work on now is the " Look" command. Have him make and hold eye contact until you give the okay to break the contact. It will be short at first but they do pick up quickly on that.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Ace714
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have been into GSD's for a long time, I have a black GS and we are training for Schutzhund. My husband has been a dog trainer for 30+ years. He used to breed Mali's and did Belgian ring for many years back then. Switched to Schutzhund and been doing that ever since, plus of course his training business. I want to lean more about the DS and figure this would be a good place to do that.

Post by Ace714 »

Oh Heather how did I not bump into you;) Hope you had a nice time in Brooklyn, lots to do.

So, what you girls are both saying we've been doing. Attention exercises has been going on from the first week, for food etc. In fact we don't let anyone touch him now. We had him in a shopping center yesterday because I had to go to the bank. My husband stayed outside and played with him while people passed and had fun with him until he wasn't paying attention to the passing people. He sat fine after that and just watched everyone pass, not excited or nervous about them. We go to our club every weekend so he gets to be with dog people who understand and he's great with them. I take him into the school yard later at night when just some of the teenagers are hanging out. He loves going into the small kindergarten playground and climbing up on everything there. there are some people to pass but only a few, if he growls at them I just tell him know and as soon as he stops we play with his tug. Or if we're walking on a more crowded street I play with him keep his tail up and he's fine after that. I was just wondering if it's true what I heard about Dutchies. Thanks ladies:)
ACE - GSD-Black
Sonny BH and Kastar - Mali's
Taz - Dutch Shepherd
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

It depends on what people think nervy is? They are not your ordinary dog. I have had a working breed before having a DS and they are still very different. They are also different, like people, from ds to ds. I have two and they are like night and day, but that also depends on what I am doing with them.

As he gets older, he will go through different protection phases until he learns his place in the world and what his job is. I got Sadie when she was a pup and it was hysterical the things she did as she matured. She protected me against everything, leaves, shoes, sticks, shadows, the glare from the water shut off behind the sink. She always growled at people passing on the street and sometimes still does, thats her so I just keep her away from people. I am in a quiet town so its a bit easier for me. Thalie on the other hand, I can let loose in a crowd and nothing will happen. Just two different dogs.
ImageImage
HeatherH
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Post by HeatherH »

I did notice you guys take your dogs' everywhere I was in Bed Bath and Beyond somewhere around 64th and Broadway and there were dogs in the store.

No I don't have that problem with Dutch he doesn't growl at people or I haven't seen it yet and he's a little over 2. I travel with him. He knows if he doesn't behave and let me handle thing he's not getting anywhere certainly off his leash. You need to get him focused on you and the task at hand. Just keep training and correcting him. Like if you’re walking and he does it stop get him to focus on you and being still. Then continue. You may not get around the corner but he will learn that if he wants to go further than relieving himself he needs to behave. You don't want a problem with him off leash and you can't nab him when a growl turns into a lunge.
As I recall it I had that problem with Dutch in the beginning he even turned on me. He was only around 5 or 6 months. I pinned him because I certainly wasn’t going to let that carry on. After constantly correcting him and short walks he stopped doing it. He had to decide if he wanted me clapping behind him saying “leave it “ or growl in his case another dog. You really need him to understand you’re in charge.
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

If you work on the attention, desensitization exercises, and let him see people as not a threat and then slowly let him decide how he wants to meet them, you should be okay. The vet staff calls my guy "fearful" and it makes me giggle. He's not - he just doesn't like people rushing up and putting their hands on him if he doesn't feel like it. They are convinced he's a nerve bag yet I can bring out a leaf blower and he won't flinch. Just remember this is a different breed of dog most people are used to. I would say mostly these dogs aren't considered nervy as a whole, but it's certainly possible to get an individual nervy DS.

He also may be going through a fear stage. My guy was either early or late on those. Just keep an easy pace and interactions happy. They'll learn.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Owned-By-Hendrix wrote: slowly let him decide how he wants to meet them,
I cannot stress this part enough. Many people dont understand that you must let the dog decide how and when to approach, its not the person who comes to the dog, its the dog going to the person. People need to learn to stay quiet and wait for the dog to make the first move.

I guess Sadie could be called nervy, [ among other things] but if you let her come to you, your all set, she will love you but if you come to her first, she will bark and look like she will be mean, but she is just timid.

I had a pit/ rott, that was a doll BUT, if you came to her first, she would nip you and never be your friend. If you sat still and let her come to you first, she was your friend forever.

Owned-By-Hendrix wrote: Just remember this is a different breed of dog most people are used to.
True again !!!
ImageImage