I need help with Dutch Shepherd training

Wise1346
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Currently have a Dutch Shepherd named Wes. He is 9 months old. Super smart.
Sometimes he gets exited with certain people and will urinate a little bit when he gets overexcited. He also is starting to chew on wooden furniture when left alone for extended periods of time.

I need help with Dutch Shepherd training

Post by Wise1346 »

I have a 9 month old Dutch.
He just started chewing on wooden furniture when left alone for extended periods of time.
Sometimes will urinate just a little bit when certain people visit.
Great dog. Very smart. Listens well.
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Re: I need help with Dutch Shepherd training

Post by Stacy_R »

Of course he is! He's a puppy and wooden furniture makes an awesome chewy....and he's bored.
Couple of questions:

1. Regarding the chewing: Why isn't he crated when you are gone?
2. Regarding the urination: You said "certain people." Is he submissive/nervous peeing or excited peeing?
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Ill Second Stacy's questions. If they cant be trusted, crate them or put them up where they cant damage or get damaged.

Do you have him on a leash when people visit? Do you have him in a down and stay when they come to the door? Do you advise people to ignore him when they come it as to let him learn to be calm and so the visitors dont get him too excited?

How long is "extended" What do you do for exercise for him? Does he have safe toys?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

I have to add: what type of training are you providing and how often? Where are you with OB? How are you satisfying the needs for mental and physical stim?

Any dog requires training, but some breeds, such as the DS, require a knowledgeable owner--which you may be, but you just haven't given us a big enough picture, enough information.

:D
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

Raven wrote:....., but you just haven't given us a big enough picture, enough information. :D
Yes, what Sharon said....
I know we hammered you with questions, but it will help us help you if we have more info. :)

The great thing about this forum is that different people will ask different questions to try to drill down to the root so that the best advice can be given.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Moved post to "Behavior."
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~