Quirks

montecarlogirl87
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: dogs, cats, fish, birds, horses, llamas... I've worked with them all :)

Quirks

Post by montecarlogirl87 »

does anybody else's dutch lay with their back legs splayed out like this?

or have to put their paw on you all the time?

or dip their paw in their water bowl?

or throw their body weight into whatever desk/wall/table they're next to as they lay down?

:lol:
Tareena and Shylah and Shota - Orlando, FL
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Quirks

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I get the paw on me a lot. I also get the slam body weight into floor as they go down and the cocked hip. He can down nice and straight but he prefers to show attitude at all opportunities.

I'm actually sporting a fat lip currently from H getting so excited and putting his paw on my face to use as a leap off point..... Yeah....
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

How old is Shylah again? I've only seen back legs go frog-style in pups and young dogs.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
montecarlogirl87
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: dogs, cats, fish, birds, horses, llamas... I've worked with them all :)

3-4-ish? best vet estimate since she was a rescue

I had a gsd/collie that did the same thing her whole life

I actually joke that Shylah is the reincarnation of my two previous dogs...she's crazy, lays like, and looks like a shepherd like Missee...but she's quiet, super smart and black like Dayzee
racingiron1
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.

Post by racingiron1 »

Hilde used to do frog legs a lot before she was 1yr, but now I only see it if she's really tired/hot from exercise. Paw on me happens a lot. No paw in water bowl, but she does throw her weight when she's really ready to get some serious ZZZs--often it's against one of her humans.
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

Xander doesn't do the frog legs with his back legs but does spread his front legs out. If he is sleeping he is usually upside down. I also get the paw alot. And he doesn't dip his foot in his water bowl but does dunk his toys in the water bowl. Last night he put 3 of them in his bowl. And when he is really tired he dramatically throws himself on the floor with a huge plop.
Karen & Xander
montecarlogirl87
Green Dog

any other dutches sometimes curl their paw under when they lay down?

karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

Yes, Xander does. But of course that's only when he's not laying upside down.
img20160519_154434.jpg
Karen & Xander
montecarlogirl87
Green Dog

Shylah (and Shota) like rolling upside down too... especially for belly rubs! lol... but it almost never fails... Shylah will start sneezing!
karenz
Training Dog

Post by karenz »

montecarlogirl87 wrote:but it almost never fails...Shylah will start sneezing!

That is to funny! :lol:

Xander falls sound asleep upside down. It's so funny looking.
Karen & Xander
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

Lexi curls her paw glad to see others do too I was beginning to wonder if something was off with it !
montecarlogirl87
Green Dog

k9lexi wrote:Lexi curls her paw glad to see others do too I was beginning to wonder if something was off with it !
same... I know curling the back toes is not a good sign... started to worry there might be something wrong... turns out she's just a normal-crazy dutch :lol: