Has anyone ever...

Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Has anyone ever...

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

So this is less of a question but more of a poll. H is barely 16 months and seems to be hitting this mysterious "final" swing of hormones some trainers have told me about. Apparently around 16-17 months the boy doggies hit full on teenager mode and get insanely stubborn, idiotic, and stop caring about punishment (I've heard stories of people having to hang their dogs until they almost pass out and it still barely registers with them). No clue if this is a thing for unneutred males, males that are civil, or just a certain personality. While not nearly as bad as the stories I've heard, all I can say is some days I would really like to smack my dude upside the head and ask him where his brain has gone. His list of WTF offenses (which are rather hilarious) are:
  • - Anything that makes a loud/deep rumbling MUST BE EATEN THIS MOMENT. The other day I had to pry him off a friend's truck because he was BITING (literally hanging off it) it because it was running. He hasn't done that since he was real little.
    - If he doesn't get his way he'll sulk. And by sulk I mean he'll go open my underwear drawer, grab some undertaking, and go running off with it. This is a habit he had (the grabbing the stuff off the floor and running with it) but was broken; the opening the drawer is new. So is the fact that he will bring it back to you upon command, but then will grab it back out of your hand and repeat the running around with it. You need ninja skillz to end the game.
    - Another way he sulks is to over protect mom. Because standing there barking at the leaves falling outside while we are inside 20 yards away is really what he should be doing with his time.
    - Random testosterone fluxes will literally make him insane. Like suddenly the carpet is an evil threat that must be killed at all costs. If you tell him it's fine he'll stop, but low and behold the next danger is the desk! It must be barked at!
    - Every other day a well known command is forgotten. What's sit again?
    - All dogs must die on days that start with an S. And only an S. Other days are fine.
    - Children have suddenly become the best prey objects EVER. (He won't harm them at all, just trills and screams in excitement when he sees them and tries to chase them)
    - Grass is an orgasmic experience apparently. And no, not literally, thank goodness.
    - Random licking attacks that will stop if you freeze and begin again if you move.
Overall he isn't nearly as bad as some of the stories I've heard but I certainly see when the hormones are high because he just gets fussy and... stupid. His obedience is really good (and worked on multiple times a day), he still doesn't need a lot of correction, and he'll listen... just some days you deal with the hormone fog. Once you get through it and tell him this is un-acceptable behavior he'll calm down/stop if he starts up again.

So my poll is, is this a "normal" part of the growing stages, and what stories do you have of this time? And it ends right? Please tell me it ends. I have half a liquor store in my house currently and I think I need more...
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Re: Has anyone ever...

Post by Stacy_R »

Your posts crack me up! Tyson is going through his second round of this. Round one was at a year and he's just over 2 now. We're back to shredding beds "because I'm ready to get out now," and not respecting space. His protection instincts/reactions are getting more intense and his recall has slipped again ... this falls into your "what is sit, again?" category. Last time he went through this we went back to basics...real basics and I had him on base for much of his "free time." That seemed to help. I also had to come up with new games (where I made the rules...lol) and new commands for him to learn. These guys never quit... He's headed to the trainers today for a day train...
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

Oh, God.

This is a thing?

Is it only a thing with intact males?

Please say yes.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

Xander was neutered at 7 months but regardless around a year old and here recently he has gotten a stubborn streak. Not extreme. But stubborn. He has gotten really mouthy again and he hasn't been listening to him commands like he was. I can work with him and get him back on track but he has been testing me alot lately. I ain't worried. He will get over it.
Karen & Xander
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I have no idea. I've had 2 high drive mal owners tell me stories that around 16-17 months they get insanely stubborn. I see what I like to call DERP - Double Endocrine Response Problems - which mainly seem to stem from testosterone literally making him stupid. So far the plan of attack that works the most is a combo of patience, a lot of alcohol, and a BS detector. If he gets real rowdy I up the obedience. When he goes insane I start drinking to see the funny side. If he gets stupid, I'm patient but firm, unless I see BS and then I call him on it fast. If he does something real stupid that endangers himself, myself, or someone else (without a command) then it's a strong correction and no nonsense until I get compliance. Weirdly I've found if I take the approach of a "come to Jesus" talk once a serious line has been crossed, and the second I get compliance all is forgiven and forgotten, then praise a few seconds after (the time frame of the praise is crucial - can't be too close or too far) or while doing one or two OB exercises, he is much more responsive the next few days and I have less problems getting through his stupid moments. I hate being hard with him since I know he is so handler sensitive. But it seems that he views it as fair because if he didn't he would be letting me know by shutting down, but instead he gets more focused and more responsive. Meanwhile I've found a few Long Island Iced Teas make everything bearable... or at least hysterical.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

I found this when reading online. There were several articles on this topic. Xander is 18 months now and has been a little stubborn lately. We dealt with this before around a year old or just under a year. It wasn't and isn't extreme. Probably because he is neutered.

An adolescent, even a neutered one, will experience occasional lapses in attention. At times he may look at you as though you had just addressed him in Mandarin, trying to convince you that you never taught him the sit command. Handle these lapses the same way you would with an untrained dog. Take a step or two backward in your training program and patiently re-teach him
Karen & Xander