Marking in house

MadMedic35
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Picking up my Dutch puppy on 30 June.

Marking in house

Post by MadMedic35 »

I am away from home for a bit but the Mrs. has been letting me know that Gustav is beginning to mark things like our couch, her dresser, etc. with increasing frequency. Gustav is now a 71# 8 month old intact male. Needless to say wife isn't happy. He has been through OB training at Tarheel Canine. I am not in the country and if I was I would be working this but sine I am not I am looking for help from experienced dutch owners. Anyone have any tips for breaking this behavior?
Dan
North Carolina
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Marking in house

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Has Gustav started it just since you been gone or has this been an ongoing problem while you were home? What is she doing when he does mark?

On first glance if it is something that happens when you're away and it's just her and him, I would hazard a guess he's displaying rank to "protect" her, something happened to shift the dynamic between her or him, or to be a twit. That 7-8 month range is usually when you see the start of them figuring out their place, a sort if pre-pre-adolescence. If she's absolutely sure he's marking and not just having accidents in the house, I would have her do more OB with him, OB games, teach him new tricks, and keep him on a leash in the house or a drag line. The second he starts to life his leg, a quick correction. If he's been trained to an ecollar you can use that, but if he's been corrected with a collar pop or pinch or fursaver you can use that too. You can also try the pee bands, basically pieces of felt that go around the stomach so when the dog pees it absorbs it and makes him walk around with a wet belly. I'm not a huge fan of them but I've never used one so can't speak to the effectiveness.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

I've never heard of pee bands. Doesn't a dog walking around with a urine-soaked band = burns?
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
MadMedic35
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Picking up my Dutch puppy on 30 June.

Post by MadMedic35 »

He did it once when I was home. She's a VT so I trust her when she says marking. Lifts leg, little bit of urine and moves on.
Dan
North Carolina