Removing the Crate

MadMedic35
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Picking up my Dutch puppy on 30 June.

Removing the Crate

Post by MadMedic35 »

Gustav is about 10 months old now and I am wanting to begin working on him sleeping in our room outside of a crate at night. My wife tried it one night since I've been gone and it didn't go to well. He paced and cried until she took him to his crate in the living room. I want to get him out of the crate and in our room at nights. He is not trained in protection but I see no point in having our Dutch Shepherd on the first floor in a crate in the event something happened. So, does anyone have any tips for removing the crate for sleeping at night? Thanks
Dan
North Carolina
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Removing the Crate

Post by Raven »

I take it there's no room in the bedroom to move the crate for the transition?
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
MadMedic35
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Picking up my Dutch puppy on 30 June.

Post by MadMedic35 »

Raven: There is room and that is what I was thinking. I guess looking for some confirmation...
Dan
North Carolina
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I would think transitioning him from crate onto something of "his" would work, unless you want him on the bed with you. If he likes his crate then he considers it his den so you'll have to give him another "private" space in your room, like a spot that is his and his alone.

I would also suggest, if you haven't already done it, chew-proofing your room. If Gustav is like H, he'll wake in the middle of the night as part of whatever sleep cycle dogs have. Sometimes H will wake me with his imaginary games in his crate. I think last time I had him try sleeping on the bed, he decided to bounce on me as part of the game while he was up. And steal my blankets. And try the dresser as a chew toy. And sit on my face.

As a side note, if it happens that Gustav is up in the middle of the night causing mayhem, he may still be not emotionally mature enough to sleep out of a crate. Sometimes these guys take a little longer to mature to be responsible enough to be trusted while asleep or alone.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I had sadie in the crate in the bedroom for a while, then I would leave the crate open and another bed in the bedroom once i felt comfortable trying her loose. She could go in the crate if she wanted but wasnt locked in. YOu will have to do alot of ignoring though.

One suggestion, I think it was from Christie, was, once they could come out of the crate, put them on a leash and tie them to the bed. this way there were loose, but could not go where ever they wanted.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

Raven wrote:I take it there's no room in the bedroom to move the crate for the transition?
Ditto that.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org