Weird dog behavior with new puppy

JesusFreak
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a beautiful Dutch Shepherd named Apache. He is about a year old. I am doing obedience/agility since he was young, and recently have been working with him for SAR. I also have a small terrier mix who hate everything that moves except me, and the family also has a Doxipoo and cats. I raise many farm animal as well.

Weird dog behavior with new puppy

Post by JesusFreak »

ok, so i have a terrier mix rescue male dog thats about 15 lbs named scooter. I just got a 8 week old Dutch shepherd puppy. Scooter hates other dogs...the one exception was a shit-tzu named hope who got out while a friend was watching her and got hit by a car...sad story. Anyway, he usually ends up tolerating new dogs (i've fostered dogs, babysat dogs, adopted dogs, etc) but has actually never met any puppies...this is his first time. He did surprisingly well (yay!!) and actually played with the new guy. He is acting more like he did when we had hope. They only thing is, he constantly licks the puppy's bottom...like constantly. He has never licked strange dogs bottoms, only smelled. Is this a display of dominance? When the puppy tried to lick scooters bottom he got a quick nip. Is this normal (the licking not the nipping)? has any of your dogs done this? How long have they continued to lick their bottoms? Thanks for any replies...any advice or personal expiriance is welcome :)
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Re: Weird dog behavior with new puppy

Post by Mobil »

I doubt it has anything to do with dominance the way most people think of it. Both of my dogs lick each other's privates. IME, older dogs will lick puppies, because they're puppies. Just taking care of a baby.

Are you seeing any aggressive behavior? Did you introduce them to each other on neutral ground/outside before bringing the puppy home?
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)