PROOFED ! The Rabbit Lived

Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

PROOFED ! The Rabbit Lived

Post by Raven »

I can't believe it.

Many here on the forum know how dog/animal aggressive my Thor is. Though training has altered things on that front, I never felt I could fully proof him.

We've suddenly had issues with rabbits getting in the "Fort Knox" backyard recently...and finally figured out how they were getting in but resolving the issue now involves the "bad" neighbor. So until we could figure something out, I've been diligent at dawn, dusk and nighttime...not letting Thor out until I've surveyed the backyard. I can't see an inch in front of me but I can see an animal at 50 paces...so all's been good.

Until tonight.

I did not see that rabbit out there.

I let Thor out.

I was on the deck and heard Thor's "silent thunder". I turned to see a scrambling rabbit inches from his jaws and yelled "LEAVE IT!"--------------and as the rabbit cut left, Thor ran straight to me and in the house. It happened in all of one second.

I was stunned. Absolutely stunned. We've been working on this moment for years...yet never able to proof him b/c he's so....well...Thor.

OMG. I am so stinking proud of him.

I let him back out after, (hopefully) making sure the rabbit found the escape path. Thor went out on alert but not amped, did his business, and came waltzing inside like he knew he'd "done good," made Mom proud.

I still can't believe it. If my boy can be called off in the heat of a moment like that...there's hope for everyone---that consistent training pays off.

I'm gonna have a drink and give my boy some gizzards.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Owly
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a student, I work at a zoo, and I work at a veterinarian's office. I'm an active person who doesn't mind playing the occasional video game or vegging out on the sofa while holding a netflix marathon.

Re: PROOFED ! The Rabbit Lived

Post by Owly »

Raven wrote:I'm gonna have a drink and give my boy some gizzards.

and then you'll go right back to working on his lessons ;)

I bet you feel like you just conquered Mt Everest. :) Kuddos!
Owly, Ohio.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Owly wrote:I bet you feel like you just conquered Mt Everest. Kuddos!
I would have to say that Sharon's feat is even greater than conquering Everest :wtg:

I get small victories with Radar every now and then, but nothing comes close to this story. I know exactly how those small victories feel, and I would probably go nuts if my boy ever got to that level.

Great job Thor!
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

centrop67 wrote:Great job Thor!
Thor bows graciously and says, "Thank you...thank you very much."

(I'm still struttin' like a proud mother hen, but not resting on any laurels, either.)
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

:wtg: This is awesome! Congratulations on training well done!
Karen & Xander
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

So I had to add a similar story to this post..... I'm so excited.

Today me and Xander headed out the back door to play some ball. As I walk down the steps with Xander right behind me, 3 baby birds try to take off. One of them could only fly about a foot at a time. And Xander saw it. And I thought uh oh, with pictures of bloody baby bird hanging out of Xander's mouth running through my head. And I say Xander, leave it. He stopped and looked at me. I told him sit, stay. And he actually did it. Of course he was still twitching with excitement as he looked back and forth between me and the bird. So I walked over and picked up the baby bird and took him to a Xander free area of the yard.

And then Xander got a big hug and kiss for doing so well. I can't believe he listened so well. He has turned out to be a wonderful dog.
Karen & Xander
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Yea, Xander!!! It's sooooo hard for them to refrain (or to stop) from the chase! (And for the owner to refrain from blurting out the wrong thing in the heat of the moment...lol.)

And he's been good on walks/biking all along, right? (You were still biking until you injured your hand...?)

Last night, a newcomer waddled into Fort Knox. A woodchuck. I scooted him off but couldn't be sure he left. I let Thor out for his after-dinner business with a watchful eye.

Thor immediately tracked him, and alerted he was under the shed. I said 'leave it,' and whoosh he came. We took care of "business" a few minutes later--and that dog KNEW he was not allowed to go near the shed. (He sneaked a few peeks, though.)

Chubbs, the woodchuck, has made his new home under the shed. Oh, goody.

The backyard this morning looked like a page from a storybook...squirrels, birds, a rabbit, a frog, snakes, slugs, and Mr. Chubbs sunning himself on the landing of the shed..............but it could so quickly turn from storybook to Nightmare On Elm Street with....shhhhhh....you-know-who.

There's never been so much wildlife continually inside the Fort. Something weird's going on. Have more fencing on the way, a short kind we can stake between the stockade and bricks. Until it arrives, every time I let him out now seems like a chore for me and disappointment for him. He's doing very well, though. :D
karenz
Training Dog

Post by karenz »

Xander is doing great on walks and bike rides. I haven't ridden my bike since I hurt my hand. Xander does well with off leash walks. We haven't tried off leash bike rides yet.

It's amazing how all of a sudden his light bulb came on and he is just super obedient. Especially with his recall and come.
Karen & Xander
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

WHOOP, WHOOP!!! Good job, Thor! And great job, Sharon....your patience and diligence paid off...there's hope for Tyson yet! ;)
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

In your hands, Stacy, there's no doubt Tyson will be fine. Well, he actually IS. So there!

I don't know how much Tyson has aged you, but Thor put some miles on me like no other. (And I'm glad for it.)
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

Great dogs that leave it and return. How old are they?
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

Great dogs that leave it and return. How old are they?
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

Raven wrote:In your hands, Stacy, there's no doubt Tyson will be fine. Well, he actually IS. So there!
Thank you, Sharon! Your confidence in me means the world to me! :D
Raven wrote:I don't know how much Tyson has aged you, but Thor put some miles on me like no other. (And I'm glad for it.)

LOL...Tyson has aged me more than any other dog I've ever owned. In fact...he's put more miles on me than all of my other dogs COMBINED! LOL But so~very~worth it!!! :DSlove:
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

k9lexi wrote: How old are they?
Thor is six, adopted at 18-months.

I THINK Tyson might be a bit over two???? Stacy brought him in her home to foster but fell in love with him and there he stayed.
k9lexi
Green Dog

Post by k9lexi »

Lexi is 9 months and still a lot of puppy I think I'd bet against the prey surviving but maybe in a year or so it will be a different story she has come a long way but is still a rebel at times
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

I forgot about Xander. I think he's around two as well???

Yeah, Lexi is still young...old enough, though, to work on OB throughout the day, especially with the biggies (recall, stay, leave it) and with impulse control, and work your up to distractions. (You're likely working on everything you should.)

Do you marker train?

Susan Garrett has a great DVD: Crate Games. Teaches impulse control and is fun for both the owner and the dog. It doesn't replace the hard work of training but many have found it helpful.

Are you doing other things with her yet? Like teaching chores, doing searches/tracking, trick-training...?