Biting

Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Re: Biting

Post by Mobil »

I agree with Stacy; the dog "tolerating" a hug is bad news. Dogs don't like hugs. My Mobil is the only dog I've had that likes hugs, but they are always on his terms (when he jams himself into my arms) and I don't let the kids hug the dogs.

I had to do a LOT more training with the kids than the dogs, and I'm still constantly reminding them about dog body language and the correct behavior to use around the dogs, because kids suck and they either forget or figure the rules don't apply to them.

OP, that you described the incident by saying your daughter was "loving on" the pup really sounds like there was some cuddling or other behavior that really isn't recommended. At 8 and 12, the kids are old enough to read up on and learn about dog body language and how to interact with dogs, and really, with the working line from which your dog has been bred, it's pretty imperative for their safety.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Lovin to us is not lovin to the dogs, human behavior is very different from dog behavior. I dont want to generalize dogs either, my parents basset lOVES lovin, but thats a hound. Thalie dosnt mind lovin but dont you dare give Sadie lovin. But for the OP lovin should be out of the question for a while.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

I think the OP bailed and we're talking to ourselves again. :lol:
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I think we scare everyone away
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Oh do I agree with Stacy that if the dog does not like hugging and tolerating it, you are in for a surprise when they dog has had enough of you not listening. People blame the dog when it is the humans fault for not respecting the dog and listening to the dog. Humans want dogs to be humans, and like hugs and luvin when they dont. Sadie from day 1 dosnt like luvin, after 4.5 year she still dosnt and I respect that and tell my kids to respect Sadie
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Dutchringgirl wrote:I think we scare everyone away
Well, only a few...but...if folks get scared off by a few words on the internet, it makes me wonder about their future with a DS.

There's a large, well-known dog forum with knowledgeable members who are REALLY harsh when getting points across. Their response, when people whine about it, is: we're here for the dog. Stop boo-hooing and listen.

Granted, you need to reach the people who have the dog in order to help the dog, so alienating them doesn't help the dog...................but.....................no one is hosting a dinner party on these forums. It's not about being kitchy-koo with those who need help, or expect a quick fix. If anyone posts a serious issue, there's going to be ALL sorts of feedback------HELLO!

One thing I've noticed is: when someone who has asked for help allows their ego to get trumped by helping their dog, within a very brief period of time (if they respond), all of sudden they post how wonderful everything suddenly is.

Uh....

If I trust those from whom I seek help, I do--and have--put my ego aside.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I agree Sharon, I want to make friends here but I am also here for the dog, so If someone dosnt like what I have to say, too bad for them. If THEY are here for the dog, they will get it, if they are hurt or dont like how they get the answer, then they are not for the dog but their ego and we all know how that will end. I have trained animals all of my life, ive given Sh*t and taken SH*t, its all about the animal, not us.
ImageImage
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Agreed. Ego can't get in the way of a lot of things, but especially DS. It's a dangerous combo. Plus there's the no tone thing in written word... I just read everything in a robot voice then giggle about it. :D
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

Raven wrote:
One thing I've noticed is: when someone who has asked for help allows their ego to get trumped by helping their dog, within a very brief period of time (if they respond), all of sudden they post how wonderful everything suddenly is.

Uh....
:duh:
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

I should probably make a separate post about this, or even make a sticky, but I proudly stand by this forum. I can't state that this forum is 100% responsible for all I've come to learn over the years--I only joined several years ago--but I KNOW I've learned more about the DS from the collective experiences on this forum.

As a lifetime animal/dog owner, multi-species rescuer, a person who only takes in problematic animals, etc., DSs have taught me a lot about being a better owner/handler/trainer across the board. And this forum, at some point, became part of it...because...when it came to world of the DS, I didn't feel like I was alone in that world. This forum was support.

It honestly pains me when I think of a dog/DS out there whose owner was offended by words when there's a collective DS experience on this forum that they'll likely not find anywhere else that is any more to their "liking" when it comes to responses.

And Lisa, you hit the nail on the head in your reply to 'people who think they know everything.' Indeed! Why would anyone address this board if they thought we weren't able to help?

And the good thing is, this board will continue to try to help, regardless. :DSlove:
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thats fine that we are posting here, maybe they will come back and read our posts, maybe not. I have to say, with this thread, Sharon, your tag like sums it up pretty well. Although I am not sure what Sadie thinks of me
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Dutchringgirl wrote: I have to say, with this thread, Sharon, your tag like sums it up pretty well. Although I am not sure what Sadie thinks of me
:lol: You're still alive.
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

Raven wrote: And the good thing is, this board will continue to try to help, regardless. :DSlove:
Agreed.

And I hope you got that I was agreeing with your earlier post with my little emoticon...lol I've been exhausted all day with a PITA Tyson pestering me and my brain is only 1/2 functioning... :tired:
~Stacy
Mom to:
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Raven wrote:
Dutchringgirl wrote: I have to say, with this thread, Sharon, your tag like sums it up pretty well. Although I am not sure what Sadie thinks of me
:lol: You're still alive.

HAHAHA Yes!!
ImageImage
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

Hey Stacey great video for a family with kids. I'm not a kid and I don't have two legged kids. Sorry to cause you worry perhaps tolerate was not the word I should have used
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

Thanks...but this isn't just with kids. You have no idea how many calls we get in rescue from adults who have been bitten "out of nowhere" and "she was just hugging him like always." Kids or no kids, hugging and kissing is bad...dogs don't like it. They truly don't.
~Stacy
Mom to:
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

Thanks for sharing Stacey it makes me feel very fortunate that all of my dogs have never bitten me and all but one have been blessed to live their entire life with me. None of my rescue dogs have been returned with the one exception due to a divorce and even then I placed him with my aunt and uncle who loved him til his death at a ripe old age.

I didn't even see page 2 of this post when I replied to you Stacey but after reading all the posts it really got me thinking how many people drop out of this forum and how conversations sometimes turn nasty. I also got to thinking about when you read a sentence, someone else could read the same sentence and have a different interpretation. Perhaps the author doesn't express his or her thoughts in a way everyone will understand exactly what was meant. You don't really have the full story of any situation unless you are there watching the situation . I could interpret a dog "that doesn't mind loving" is tolerating it. I've read a lot of posts since joining and usually don't say anything for fear of getting jumped on I have a feeling there are many that have either dropped out or simple won't chime in for the same fear. Even saying this will have repercussions, quotes disecting parts of what I've written Maybe the best way to get my information from this forum is to simply ask, has anyone experienced something like this and if so what did yiu do. If I need more info from a particular person, I will likely take it offline to lesson the risk of well .. gee, I don't want to use the wrong words but just something I'd rather avoid. Yes, take my ego out of it, put the dog first, etc which is why I'm not giving up just yet.
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

Yep. Wrong words can change things. And, as someone in rescue (who is privy to all of the "can you please take my dog" emails we get), I think I always default to err on the side of caution, especially in possible bite scenarios. I apologize if I offended you, but I am truly, truly "for" you and your dog together....
~Stacy
Mom to:
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

You are asking what to do and we have given you our advice. They are words, it is how the reader interprets the words. We write, you read. I am passionate about dogs, as we all are but this breed is not just any breed. They are a hard working breed that is not around to be a family dog, if thats how it works out, that is great. You want a dog to mushify, with out anyworry of anything, dont get a DS, My kids can mushify my parents Basset Hound for ever.

My advice is to keep the kids away from the dog, keep the dog with you and the dog may never like to be hugged. My Sadie isnt a huggy dog, never has been never will be, but my kids respect that. When sadie tells the kids she wants to be left alone, they leave her alone immediately.

Some people do leave because they dont like what is said here, we say the truth, and if it is not liked or it is not what that person wants to hear, then it is their prerogative to leave and search out what they want to hear.
ImageImage