Grendel at boarding school...

brindledog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I love Shepherds- German, Dutch and Belgian. I recently lost my 16.5 y/o GSD mix and was hoping to find a GSD or DS mix. I totally lucked out in finding Grendel, a DS/GSD mix at 9.5 weeks old. She was filthy and flea-ridden, but still the cutest, craziest thing ever. She's going to live up to her name! First dog I've had that I've actually seen the parents and definitely know what she is!

Grendel at boarding school...

Post by brindledog »

So, after second private lesson with trainer and seeing how much Grendel freaked out when we leashed her to pole and I stepped a couple feet away, I was getting very worried about her anxious/nervous temperament. I asked trainer what he would do in my position, I.e. needing a service dog, and he said he'd get another dog. I was very upset abs looking at my options,, which led me to another trainer who suggested board and train.

It's killing me but I sent Grendel to "boarding school" where she's been for 2 weeks. The trainer works at the Michael Ellis school and takes Grendel with her to the school every day. The trainer won't let me see her for the 3 weeks of boarding. Says she's doing well, getting much more confident and socialized, though will always be a nervy dog. Also said Grendel is totally dutch shepherd in her thinking/behavior.

Despite prohibitive cost, I'm glad Grendel improving, but I'm worried that she won't want to come home! Has anyone here done a board and train before? How was it when you got your dog back? :(
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Re: Grendel at boarding school...

Post by cordeliandemon »

the fact they can handle her is a very good sign.
i had demon boarded when he was about 9 months old (memories foggy) with people who train irelands police dogs, he lasted less than a week and they told me i needed to come take him home as he kept mauling the trainers, they needed a full bite suit just to take him out to pee.
2 weeks in and shes improving? no worries:)
for me when demon got home, even the second he saw me he was ecstatic and 1000x more gentle and loving with me than he had been previously. i think its a case of he didnt actually know how good he had it with me :roll: he hasnt bitten me or been rough with me since, baring in mind i definitely respect his boundaries and he lets me know in situations when hes getting overwhelmed and needs space.
hopefully you have a much improved grendel, im not sure exactly how it will work for you with someone else successfully training her, all i really gathered from demons experience is im stuck with him for life as he wont do what anyone else says :pint:
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

After seeing that they work at the ME school, I felt better. I am not a fan of send away training, thats just me, not judging.

Glad she is doing well. Of course she will want to come home, you are her human.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
brindledog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I love Shepherds- German, Dutch and Belgian. I recently lost my 16.5 y/o GSD mix and was hoping to find a GSD or DS mix. I totally lucked out in finding Grendel, a DS/GSD mix at 9.5 weeks old. She was filthy and flea-ridden, but still the cutest, craziest thing ever. She's going to live up to her name! First dog I've had that I've actually seen the parents and definitely know what she is!

Post by brindledog »

Thanks.
The trainer has been sending me videos and it kills me to see Grendel having such a good time with other humans. :(
On the plus side, I see her doing play bite work, and I'm impressed. If not for her nervousness, she'd probably be pretty good at bite work stuff, but was told she'd need very particular trainers to deal with her sensitive nature, at least in the beginning. Oh well.
I was really not into the boarding idea, but when I found out she'd be spending her days surrounded by and interacting with professional trainers, not just the one I hired, I was sold. It's kind of funny to get pictures of her surrounded by humans in what looks like group therapy!
I can't wait for her to come home, though. Nor can my cat. She is bored and driving me crazy for not having someone to chase/chase her around the house.

Lisa