problem home alone pls help

Northern88
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Belfast located with 8 months ds pup :)

problem home alone pls help

Post by Northern88 »

Hi :) glad found this site :) dlike to ask u guys for help or advice pls :) bought 3 months old ds pup from gumtree. Previous owner told me quite much stuff what wasn't true about pup and when came later on problems was really surprised but already too totally in love with wee pup.
Kodys obedience is great, sit, lay, stay, bring, come.. everything on first time on spot and happy if with treat, toy or nice pett for reward.problem is its really hard to calm him down when he switches and it's all of sudden everytime. For example jumping on my 25 pregnant gf and absolutely attention NEED like superpower excited..and too when I leave him home alone and go to work, shop, catch up with friend -- no matter if I'm away for 1o minutes or 4 hours. When I come back all house is turned around, destroyed doors, floors, carpets, everything and poops everywhere.. and he totally crazy. First though it can be from boredom,or puberty I'm working 5 days week, various shifts. so extended walks,no matter or work what he'll get morning, noon, afternoon, eve, night walk altogether up to 5 hours time + obedience training + play outside + play inside etc though it could be enough and keep him happy, but like no matters,mostly when I return somethings down and he just cute laying on sofa. I really love him but need to pay 500 pounds now just for repairs, and this month need move to new, and just simply at stage when can't afford destroyed all anew again, though could it be it sep anxiety? Tried extending time when away slowly from 10 mins but in 9 cases from 10 anyway was something torn.so have not much space for rewarding him for good even and quite desperate now :/
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: problem home alone pls help

Post by centrop67 »

Wow - welcome.

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Member Announcement section.

You've put a whole lot into one big broken English paragraph, but that is okay, I think we got the message.

First step is crate training. You'll have to research it a little, but it really does help a lot.

Second step, walking a gagillion miles a day is not enough. Yes, the walks are important, but there needs to be regular activity like a job or training EVERY DAY. Otherwise, your pup will find his own job, and as you can tell from the one he has chosen, you're not going to like it.

Third understand that for the next couple of years his hormones are going to cause what we jokingly call "Crazy Hour." He will make noises (probably like Chewbacca from Star Wars). He will nip and nose punch, and paw you until you give him attention. I was able to get through this through relaxation training. You can search the forum, because I think I explained it somewhere.

BTW these "Crazy Hours" can sometimes last much longer. :pint:

Again welcome, and good luck. I am sure there will be some other member advice coming...
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Crate training. A 3 month old pup has zero impulse control, so leaving him alone in a flat/house is just asking for trouble. He probably won't have good impulse control until he is much older, so be prepared to not leave him loose in the house alone until maybe a year old or more. Also, training. Part of what you have is a high drive puppy in puppyhood (there's a reason they drive us to drink lol), inconsistent training, not enough mental stimulation, and not enough boundaries. Many recommend keeping the puppy tethered to you while out, and when you can't keep an eye on him, you crate him. This is a great tool. Also short, quick obedience games several times a day. 30 seconds and that's it.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

hey im in dublin, in all likelyness our dogs are cousins or even closer theres only 2 people who breed DS in ireland to my knowledge.
hes 8 months old now? crate training didnt work for demon the only kinds of crate i could get shipped to ireland are wire that collapse and hed hurt himself trying to escape if he saw me leave, so i only use it when im in the room with him and just need him to stay put while i clean something that could harm him like spilled window cleaner/whatever other disaster hes caused.

if you have a garden you could try getting a chain link dog run for him while youre out, but spend a few months playing with him in there and making it a happy place first, leave him alone with a bone or something extremely fun every time you have to go and immediately (but calmly) dissapear before he notices. demons almost 2 now and i still have this situation working while i need him separated from the other dog for feeding/whatever else.
for jumping up id spray him with water and say no, and reward heavily when he gets down.
i wouldnt leave them in the house alone really mine had a habit of chewing walls, not keen to find out if hed still do it now. im no expert but these are the things that work with demon
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

also "Tried extending time when away slowly from 10 mins but in 9 cases from 10 anyway was something torn.so have not much space for rewarding him for good even and quite desperate now :/" are you rewarding him when you come back and nothing is destroyed?
he wouldnt really associate that with what he has or hasnt done since he didnt just do it that moment, and could drive further excitement and separation anxiety. when i come back i try my best to act like its no big deal and ive been there the whole time, try to act bored even and they wont learn to go bizerk at the sight of you expecting happy-fun-play-reward-time.

also you hadnt mentioned if he does or not, but when demon IS alone outside he only barks if he sees something theatening, he knows i usually only come back if hes quiet. its pretty much the same thing as "controlled crying" for babies, the neighbors may have not liked it for a couple days/weeks when he was a puppy but hes always quiet now unless theres something that genuinely deserves attention.
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Northern88
Just Whelped

Post by Northern88 »

Re: cordeliandemon Hi :)) woow really pleased to meet u here, because Kody is actually really imported from Dublin so bet our dogs are family yay :) can't upload pics here yet, too big size :/ yes he's 8 months now :) brought him home from owner in 12 weeks, this man bought him for 2 older dobermans like fun puppy to wake them up and told me he's profi trainer but can't keep him anymore because don't have bond with him and even don't like him since his older dog died.. :/ he started to train him in k9 style but too was really spoiled so was quite tough start. he told me pup is ok alone but too crate trained, did all from walkies, obedience training, fun time in and out, socializing and just went fully in :)) all was fine problems started in 5 months cca when he found out how to open cage locks, doors handles and just did simply clever because from that time wasn't ok crated anymore, and even when I bought better crate anyway, and was more hurting himself in, and worsening generally,unhappy. Once came home kody out out cage and even did run away through other doors out,been chasing him all over east Belfast and was evident that he don't trust me atm and don't wanna go back, even when like hour ago was following me all over the house, attention crave, playfully as usually :/ we have big Park behind house, still there :) thank u for advice :)) will have garden in week so definitely will try chain link because he's jumper.thanks for catch, immediately but calmly leave, o.O I will :) can say he could catch my routine before I'm going away and that pure panic can be worsen then :/
Last edited by Northern88 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Northern88
Just Whelped

Post by Northern88 »

With barking, hes crazy barking when I'm leaving house, don't matter if crated or sitting on place,hes noisy but know from neighbours hes quiet after while. Then just barks when something -dangerous- was much worse on start been barking really aggressively and trying to chase cars when off leash or on with me now ok, distraction and treats :) just that anxiety now. Yeah when was stuff ok gave him treat he likes. But ur right he couldn't know for which reason :) :o and Will definitely try to "act bored" and other and not to do big deal from leave and coming home :) hope be good thank u :))
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

From time to time we get posts from DS owners who are going crazy, because the dog's behavior is out of control.

In the background, the experienced members are rolling their eyes, groaning, or experiencing serious concern about the situation. I believe this is one of the cases where serious concern is being felt by many.

All of the good qualities of a Dutch Shepherd make it one heck of a breed. All of the bad qualities make it an extremely dangerous breed. When all the bad qualities exist in the hands of the inexperienced, it's time to seek help that just cannot be delivered on a discussion forum.

I believe you need to find a working dog professional (trainer) to assist you, or find this dog a new home.
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Multipurpose trainer

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

Well said above.....................In all honesty I think in the hands of good handlers Dutchies have no bad qualities...................they sometimes appear that way when inexperienced people deal with their drives and just don't get it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have learned to just not fight the drive make it work for you then against you. I understand this is not a "working dog forum" and as such from time to time we get these threads. In this case I am a " find the dog a new home" person.
Roger
Consistency + Repetition = Predictability
cordeliandemon
Training Dog

Post by cordeliandemon »

I'd say you'll have a large chunk of the burden off your shoulders once you have a garden and can focus on training while keeping some of your sanity, I know it must be overwhelming at the moment I've been in a similar situation.
It takes a few months to a year for a ds to *really* bond with you so you need to be patient for that as well, and I'm sure you know already not to let the dog (or any dog not just Dutch shepherds) near your baby.
Seeing people suggest rehoming, the island of Ireland has a very small population, and even smaller resources for pets. Rehoming really isn't a reliable option here unless you're ok knowing it's pretty much 100% likely the dog will be put down. There's a big stigma against second hand dogs.
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Thanks Cordelia - I'd opt for professional training, then. I'd hate for someone to get hurt, and I certainly don't want it put down. He's already had a great deal of expense on home repairs, so the expense of training would be preventative insurance.
Michael