15 week old biting correction suggestions?!

Hoops+1
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Young family just adopted a Dutch Shepard Mix (Dutch) he is almost 4 months old. Fell in love with him immediatly. We are not sure what he is mixed with as we rescued him from a shelter. We have a 3 year old son are super active and live in Minnesota.

15 week old biting correction suggestions?!

Post by Hoops+1 »

We just brought him home last Friday. He is so smart and doing well except the biting. Last night I came home from work and he was so excited he literally attacked me for five minutes. I have also tried everything that you all have stated. How loud would you recommend saying "No" it seems to work sometimes when I grab his mouth but other times it makes him want to bite me more. I definitely do the redirecting. I was trying to ignore at first and not give it attention but the woman at the animal supply store said with this breed you can not be passive and since then I have been trying the grabbing the snout and saying No. Sometimes I feel like I yell to loudly because he doesn't listen. Are we going to have a break from this at some point!
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: 15 week old biting correction suggestions?!

Post by centrop67 »

Your puppy is probably teething. Redirection to something it's okay to bite is absolutely the right approach here.

Even my lab was horrible about the biting at that age.

Yelling no is going to give you future issues where your dog will think it's a game, so it will try to do things to make you yell.

Your dog is young. You haven't got crazy hour yet. This will seem like heaven compared to that.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Hoops+1
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Young family just adopted a Dutch Shepard Mix (Dutch) he is almost 4 months old. Fell in love with him immediatly. We are not sure what he is mixed with as we rescued him from a shelter. We have a 3 year old son are super active and live in Minnesota.

Post by Hoops+1 »

What is crazy hour? I really would like to not yell. I will need to control myself it just hurts so bad and takes me by surprise and I am anxious because of our son. I will continue with redirecting. He really likes hooves even though they are stinky it gets his attention is this considered a treat for them for biting though?
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

There's a post on here somewhere showing how a bitch quiets a mouthy pup. It's worked well for me in the past, but you should be careful.
Also, keep him leashed. Watch him. When you see him going in give him a little pop and a short but stern verbal correction. There's a ton of videos on YouTube you can watch for timing which is critical. Keep a small rag in your pocket that you can instantly pull out to re direct him. Again, timing is everything. You need to redirect before he gets his self fulfilling reward.
Personally I hate yelling. I save that for the cat. I'll admit, I'm not 100% there with Endeavor, but it's getting better. You definitely want the dog to ALWAYS associate your volume tone, and intensity with your actual seriousness.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

One more thing: don't be discouraged if the "softer" approach seems to take a long time. I've had En for about four months now and she's just given me the glimmer of prey drive recall hope in the past few weeks. GOTTA give the "leave it" before she takes that first step though.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

every hour is crazy hour with a DS, LOL He should be on a leash all of the time while out of the crate. Do a bit of searching on here. we have had lots of other posts on biting.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Hoops+1
Just Whelped

Post by Hoops+1 »

Thanks every one! I've been reading like crazy starting obedience training next week! Now that he's healed from surgery I can get some energy out of him. Thanks!