Please help me!!!

Alyssarorvick
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm 15 and own a spunky 5 month old dutchie(:

Please help me!!!

Post by Alyssarorvick »

It seems I have come across yet another dominant puppy... hes very respectful around other dogs,and loves to go places and is a pretty happy pup. But he has a major issue with possession issues and hates not getting what he wants. For example he will attack me if I do not give him what he wants. I don't play this game. Like last night, we went on a walk last night. It was a little bit chilly and u could see that he would much rather be home, but we were close so I decided to make him walk the while way. He went up behind me and grabbed the back of my arm, I then took his leash and prong and just pulled everything to the ground till he let go. Then we kept walking, he tried again, did the same thing. He also will ATTACK my hands if I tale something away. He has actually made me bleed, this is no play bite. I literally have no clue how to correct him for this because every time I do he gets mad and will try to bite me. I really need some tips here, I've resorted to going back to step one and wearing long sleeves to show him that he can bite and nothing will happen. I have my hands tied with this dog, he's awesome, but he's and asshole
Alyssa and Tyson. 6 month old knpv dutch
trapulica
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm from Croatia, after 2x German shepherd and Bernese Mountain Dog. Now I'm owner of Dutch Shepherd. My dog ''ZIP'' is born on 23 August 2016

Re: Please help me!!!

Post by trapulica »

Alyssarorvick is DS your first seroius dog ?

DS is monstly dominant dog, he will ask you lot of things , now is question how many and on which way you will tolerate his behavior.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

i would get a trainer. He should not be allowed to have any toys that he can have free acces too . Maybe a muzzle for now . also wear gloves
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

That sounds like a normal 5-7 month old pup. Where did you get him from? What are his lines?

DS a pups will bite and push your limits. It's what they do. Long gone are the cute 8 week old days and now the real training begins until 18- 24 months. This honestly sounds like a dog who has realized if he uses enough force he will get his way, and at that young age, with the drive spikes, they aren't really phased by correction unless they have enough respect for you (which sounds like he does not).

Get a trainer who works in PSA or IPO or FR. If he is leaving wounds that require stitches I would muzzle, but if he is not then he's not biting you with enough intent and you're talking some painful scratches and bites. There is nothing we can really advise you on here without seeing the dog and understanding your dynamic, so any advice we give you is likely to blow up in your face and make things worse.

For now the minimum I would suggest without bad consequences is the NILF approach - nothing in life is free. He has to work for food (hand fed by you), work for play time, and if he's getting into trouble, he gets quiet time in his crate (make sure you aren't putting him in there directly after you get mad at him. Start doing OB then put him in a few minutes later). The possession may or may not be genetic and if it is you'll have a hard time stomping that out of him and will have to devise a plan of action to make it a livable trait.

Have you had training on where to place the prong? A prong on a young animal can or cannot be effective and depends on the dog's personality. Placement and fit is a huge factor in corrections, and also teaching what the prong means (I have seen it amp up dogs) so consider if you have not had training or experience with it, this may be adding to his arousal state and not providing the proper form of "this is not the right choice" communication it should be.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Alyssarorvick
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm 15 and own a spunky 5 month old dutchie(:

Post by Alyssarorvick »

He is my first serious, serious dog. We are training for mondio, agility and alot of other fun stuff. By far the best dog I've had so far. We have actually made progress with the while biting issue. He now wears a gentle leader during for walks, so if he does try anything, it's close to impossible(: didn't try at all yesterday! He is becoming more responsive as well! I've used prongs on all of my dogs,right behind the ears. He has a covered one to tone down the correction during walks . Tbh I've had puppy's and dogs way worse then him, but he is not submissive to me like others were and I'm honestly OK with it. I just need to work with him to create enough boundaries I guess. I'll see if I can get any video to show what he is like(:
Alyssa and Tyson. 6 month old knpv dutch
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Glad you are making progress, Kira has some great advice as usual
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage