Aggression towards black dogs

TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Aggression towards black dogs

Post by TimL_168 »

Something I saw on Facebook this morning reminded me of an interesting observation. About a decade ago, I had Aurora (my Shiloh, and an adolescent at the time) at a dog park that we stopped at frequently. Someone's dog was acting aggressive towards her for no reason. The owner told me that his dog always acted aggressively towards black dogs. I started paying attention to this throughout all our daily interactions and I did notice that there seemed to be a disproportionate amount of random dogs that would instigate with black haired dogs of any morphology. I haven't really gone to the dog park in four years or so. I kinda forgot about the whole thing. I'm curious if anyone here has ever observed something similar.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
racingiron1
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.

Re: Aggression towards black dogs

Post by racingiron1 »

Just anecdotally, my previous dog (rescued Finnish Spitz) seemed to have this behavior. We both noticed it separately and began jokingly calling her racist. It was only in situations where she was in a protective mode, either when she saw a dark dog passing by the house, or when walking with my wife. She would also have the same aggression with men, especially walking with my wife. I used to say she was smart enough to know I didn't need protection because I could take care of myself... My wife would counter that she was smart enough to know I wasn't WORTH protecting!
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Lol
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
racingiron1
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.

Post by racingiron1 »

Just re-read my response, and I want to clarify that our old Spitz would react to ALL men (regardless of appearance) when walking with my wife alone. The dark-furred dogs wasn't 100% consistent (she liked some dark ones, and was aggressive towards a few lighter ones), but it was a noticeable preference. Size also had something to do with it, because she would be much more likely to react to those larger than her.
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

it would be interesting to do a test with all sizes of black dogs to see if its the color or size
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Back when I frequented a dog park, there were a few dogs that I was able to observe. One of those was a medium sized hound mutt. It was uncomfortable around a little black Bassett/wiener dog mix as well as other black dogs of various sizes up to a newfie. I can't really remember the few others that I noted an issue with.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

img20170116_210303.jpg
Xander loves his black "sister". Just saying...
Karen & Xander
lindalew
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hello, I've been lurking about this forum for a year now - can't believe my puppy just turned one!! I've gained all kinds of information and advice from you all, and am thankful for it. Dutchess is a sweetheart of a dog, and the insight I've gained from this forum has been most valuable!

Post by lindalew »

Kind of related . . . Duchess and I were at an adopt-a-thon the Humane Society was putting on last month. There was a beautiful, all black, female shepherd there. I would've taken her in a second, but she got snarly with Duchess, then with a brindle pitbull mix, and also with a brindle greyhound. She was sweet and calm with every other dog there. This dog definitely had an issue with the brindles. I wonder if something may have happened in her past. Bummed me out though, cause I really wanted to take her home.