Does your Dutch Shepherd know how to relax?

centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Does your Dutch Shepherd know how to relax?

Post by centrop67 »

Training relax to a breed that never seems to get tired is key to a happy coexistence. The pictures show my wife training Radar to relax using a towel, a clicker, and some high value treats.

Step 1 - down/stay on a towel (click-treat)
Step 2 - watch for any sign of relaxation such as head down (click-treat)
Step 3 - Increase time between behavior and reward.
Step 4 - Repeat in different environments.

Trust me - either Radar or myself would have gone bat-sit crazy without it.

Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Does your Dutch Shepherd know how to relax?

Post by TimL_168 »

Awesome!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

This training has one drawback...

Radar reverts to putting his head down like that whenever he wants something, and it's next to impossible to refuse.
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

centrop67 wrote:This training has one drawback...

Radar reverts to putting his head down like that whenever he wants something, and it's next to impossible to refuse.
:DSangel:

En gets really pushy when she's been sitting still too long. I might try to upload a video later on. I loaded it to photo bucket, but I'm not sure if a link to that will work.
Aside from that, she'll really stay calm and out of the way almost all the time. Her old owner said she's lower energy. I've only been around Dutches and Mals while they're training or amped up from running, but I still believe her.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Does he run through a playlist of trained behaviors, too? If En gets my attention and I stay still, she'll start running through everything she's been taught until I laugh hard enough and take her out. The other day, I kept ignoring her until I turned around and found a pile of socks that she had been bringing and leaving in the chair behind me.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

He'll sit first, and then go down with his head on the ground. There's not a whole lot between I am going to be a pain in the butt, and I am going to relax for what I want.
Michael
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

This breed, though, is not really meant to relax. its a working breed that is supposed to be on its "toes " all day protecting the herd. Mine will sleep but be up and barking and crazy in a split second.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Even hardened warriors need to meditate. recharge, regroup every once and a while.

Relaxation is most useful during crazy hour, which for some reason at 5 years old has returned for Radar.

That's kind of what got me to post about it.
Michael
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

The older Lexi gets she will relax at times. I enjoy those moments... Usually when I'm relaxing but if I move or get up... The moment is over!

Here is something funny. If all dogs are in the bedroom and we hear noise in the house... Overnight guest... Anna the akita mix puppy is the one on alert giving a deep bark... Maybe Lexi is old enough to figure out when it is a guest