puppy development?

Decker16
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New Dutchie owner looking for a place to ask questions and get info!

puppy development?

Post by Decker16 »

I am a first time Dutchie owner and just wanted to ask how"drives" (I rather hate using that word but I think many of you know what I mean) develop. I am having a hard time getting my 5 month old male interested in wanting to search for anything for over 30 seconds. Is this "normal" for this age? He also does NOT tug at all....he will mouth a tug toy (I've tried several textures with the same result). Even before teething he never really gave much to it. I can accept the fact that maybe he just isn't into tugging but will he ever develop (with age) desires to chase and hunt???
Thanks in advance!

RD
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: puppy development?

Post by TimL_168 »

I got mine as a wash out at 15 months. I think her focus was just beginning to show through. Now, though we're still training she KNOWS what's going on and is motivated. That may be mostly because were tracking things that she can eat, but it is what it is.
Is there anything that your puppy will do for extended periods of time?
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Decker16
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New Dutchie owner looking for a place to ask questions and get info!

Post by Decker16 »

Chew on my other dog, but I already know I can't use my other dog as a reward LOL
For now, no, nothing keeps his interest for more than 10 to 15 minutes. I know he is still young and just wanted to see if this was "normal" development.
Thanks!

RD
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

At 5 months, ten minutes is a very long time, man. Have you considered taxidermy?
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Decker16
Just Whelped

Post by Decker16 »

HHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM taxidermy.........maybe just a life sized cut out...LOL

Rio
Rotten666
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My husband and I just adopted a 4 month old female German Shepherd x Dutch Shepherd we named her Hannah

Post by Rotten666 »

Decker16 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:45 pm Chew on my other dog, but I already know I can't use my other dog as a reward LOL
For now, no, nothing keeps his interest for more than 10 to 15 minutes. I know he is still young and just wanted to see if this was "normal" development.
Thanks!

RD

That's funny! My little yellow terrier has become the number 1 chew toy in our household.
Rotten666
Santa Cruz, California
Husky x = Kaya
Little yellow dog. = Barney
Dutch Shepherd princess = Hannah