Bite work/Reaction

Dotson101
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a Dutch shepherd puppy who is my whole world.

Bite work/Reaction

Post by Dotson101 »

My pup is almost 11 months and we have been doing bite work from time to time. This most recent session he turned on me and snapped up at my face when he was in a down position at center heel. I think it was just out of frustration because he wasn't released to the decoy for some time. He's been such a sweet loving dog up until that instance. Is it possible for a dog's temperament to change during their "teenager stage" ? He has never been aggressive towards any person (other than the decoy) since I got him.
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Bite work/Reaction

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

He's frustrated with the obedience and redirected at you...
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Yes, keep your face away, when they are all riled up they do not have the self control to stop as soon as they see you. One time , at a trial, my friend was doing Defense of handler with his well trained dog. the decoy hit him ( handler) and the dog turned to bite the decoy but bit my friend by mistake. they get in the zone and just act. You must realize that and make sure you are not in the bite zone. They LOVE to bite and the decoy, and the suit are a huge trigger for them. Even now, at 15, my Thalie sees the suite and goes nuts. She even goes nuts when she sees a guy in a bunny suit standing at Dunkin Donuts !~
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:48 pm She even goes nuts when she sees a guy in a bunny suit standing at Dunkin Donuts !~
Reminds me of that Canadian police vid with the mal attacking the pokemon. Obviously, it wouldn't be as fun for the poor guy in the rabbit suit. :o
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

hahahahahahah
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage