Almost a year old and too scared

Dotson101
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a Dutch shepherd puppy who is my whole world.

Almost a year old and too scared

Post by Dotson101 »

I train with my pup all the time & he is super smart. He learns things within a days time or less. He understands literally every conmand that I give him. He will climb/jump onto anything I tell him to, and perform any command on that surface. My big concern I have and what I am highly annoyed with is his confIdence with stressful situations. Going places he's super familiar with he could do one of two things.. he could get out of the car tuck his tail and try with everything he has to get back in the crate or he could get so excited that he nearly yanks my arm off. I can't play with him (tug/fetch) unless he is super super interested otherwise he gets scared and pees. I could do something as simple as picking up a toy and giving it to him gently and he will turn sideways, pin back ears, tuck his tail and pee.. its to the point where I'm about to find a new (permanent home) owner for him and find a new pup.. I have raised other dogs (all extremely confident) without issues. I just want/need a dog that I can literally take anywhere and do anything with. I'm starting to think that he may not fit that description. As much as it upsets me to think that way. Has anyone had experience with this and if you have did it change? He's 11 months old.
Dotson101
Just Whelped

Re: Almost a year old and too scared

Post by Dotson101 »

I also want to add that even though it may sound cruel that I'm thinking about finding him a new home.. I have to think about his happiness as well as my own. If he can't handle the lifestyle that I lead then he'd be better off with another owner. I am extremely active and It'd be wrong of me to leave him home on every outdoorsy trip that I took just because he may get scared. I haave done the positive reinforcement while avoiding the punishment side of things. It still isn't working. I am wondering if maybe he sees me as someone who's too dominant. He just will not play with me and it's kinda saddening TBH. I try to make fun time and he doesn't let it happen (unless other dogs or other people are around) for example; he loves bite work and goes crazy over the sleeve, but if I bring out the tug or the sleeve when he's not in bite work mode then he shuts down. It's really hard to explain since he's so inconsistent. I also want to add that I take him everywhere & his environmental secureness is phenomenal but his ability to handle stressful (to him) situations is non existent.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

First, and you may have already done this, rule out any possible health issue. The inconsistency may be a result of just not feeling well under certain circumstances.

You may also consider having him evaluated by a trained behaviorist. They might be able to point out certain triggers that you may not be aware of. If so, you could try to find ways to avoid those triggers.

Finally, I assume you have had this puppy for ~9 months which has been his whole world. I wonder what kind of confidence problems he might have if the only person he knows is out of his life if you inevitably re-home him?

I am hoping for the best for you and your puppy.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dotson101
Just Whelped

Post by Dotson101 »

I have definitely been trying to find those triggers and work through them, but he's so inconsistent. I have wondered if he was abused before I got him. I got him when he was around 6 months old. He's stuck to me like glue, has severe separation anxiety and I believe he'd do literally anything for me, but his insecurities are killing me. I have wondered if maybe the previous owner was the dominant one like I am and mistreated him. Maybe this has lead him to believe that if he isn't dominant then it's not okay. That may be a little far fetched though.
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

He may have been abused. It could take a while but also, don't push him, he can sense you are annoyed with him. Abandoning him will make it worse for whoever gets him- just help him feel that he has no reason to be afraid as long as you are there. However don't put him in situations that would cause him to get anxiety- he might have been crated so long he never got to go outside and see the world, who knows. Don't give up on him just yet.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

how long have you had him? where did you get him from. I agree with Mark, this sounds like an abused dog. These dogs usually don't cower and pee. Eeven my Sadie who is afraid of her own shadow does not do this.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Mark, what’s the update on your pup?
I may have missed it. I’m kinda in the Spring cleaning mode and looking through old posts. It’s like sorting old mail.
Anyway just curious.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG