dominant behavior

ralbucks
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: new puppy owner

dominant behavior

Post by ralbucks »

Hello everyone,

I have been keeping up with reading the posts, but until today I guess I did not have much to say. My doggy, Harry, is about 1yr and 10 months, neutered since he was 4 months old (rescue), 68 pounds and thin. We recently took him to a new dog park, he has a lot of friends there. He seems to be getting behavior tips from other dogs. If a dog plays rough he will play rough, he is gentle with puppies and smaller dogs, but it can get somewhat intense with other dogs of similar height and age. If they are chasing the same ball, Harry will run up to the other dog sometimes and push the other dog while running, with his rear (the ugly word would be body slam) just to imbalance the other dog. Well, today, he did it with me. A ball was thrown and to make him get some exercise I pretended to run to get the ball myself. Well I guess my pretending worked because he intercepted me, came from behind, slammed his rear into my legs enough to imbalance me and ran and caught the ball. I fell on my back and I'm not a short or thin for that matter. He guards the balls he finds outside. He's getting an all around dominant behavior with barking at people (no jumping, tough). I never taught him any protection, he just passed an obedience class and does not steal other dogs' toys. Is that prey drive, dominant behavior or being spoilt? :DSlove:
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: dominant behavior

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Sounds like you need a good trainer that understands the breed...the guarding the ball is called resource guarding... him stealing the ball from you and knocking you down is just what these dogs do when you play and haven't taught any boundaries with how they get them all... my advice hire a good trainer
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Step away from the dog park !!! I loath dog parks, it is a free for all with so many stupid humans that have no clue about how dogs think and behave . Dogs are narcissistic, everything belongs to them, the park, the toys, everything, and a DS will protect that. This is not the dog park type of breed. Now, yes, many people with Ds do go there. I have with Thalie, she has had intense protection training and does not leave my side and has been taught to ignore everything and everyone. BUT if someone started with her, its over.

These are protection dogs, and a forum like a dog park is really not the best place for them unless they have had a ton of training, and even then, I would not go.

I would take my basset but that is a goofy go happy breed. but that is the difference.

You have a dog that has prey drive, protection drive, work drive, you name it, its in there, and you put them in a scenario that will trigger all of them.

He is in the age range that he is coming into his own and learning that he is the protector of you.

Personally. I would stay away from parks, get some training, good solid training. This is not the breed you want to play rough with.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

I wouldn't take a golden retriever to a dog park lol I hate them! Trust us from experience as professional dog trainers it's not a matter of if it's when you have an issue at one
racingiron1
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.

Post by racingiron1 »

I used to take Hilde when she was younger because at the time it was a good way to get her some exercise. I did witness some terrible things, so we don't go any more except sometimes when we're traveling, and even then I avoid them if there's more than one or two dogs. Aside from the clueless owners, there's also disease risks. I recall one time hearing a woman explaining that her dog's obvious dire-rear problem was due to some worm issue, but she just got some medicine at the vet earlier that day. The person she was talking to was there with a quite young puppy. :roll:
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
ralbucks
Puppy

Post by ralbucks »

Thank you all, for your answers. You are absolutely right, my dog does not understand his own strength and I was very surprised ,to say the least, at how much damage he can do. He needs an outlet for his energy. So we are kinda stuck to taking him to the dog park, only when there are only 1-2 dogs. I think he would be good in agility trials, but I'm probably wrong. How do you go about finding a good dog trainer or a good agility club. Searching for one led me nowhere. :(
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I would find a quiet place to take him and play and run. I would not chance the dog park, you may go there with on or two other dogs, but what if a group comes in? Agility would be great. I did agility with Thalie. She was so fast, its a great outlet. I miss it.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Where are you located?
ralbucks
Puppy

Post by ralbucks »

Gainesville,Fl :DSangel: