Failure

centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Failure

Post by centrop67 »

There's an excellent article over on the Collared Scholar about letting our dogs fail during training.

I recommend a look see by DSF members. Full Article
Meagan Karnes wrote:But the problem is, when we are always there catching them when they fall, when we are always helping instead of making them think on their own, we aren’t allowing them the chance to learn to problem solve. And if they learn they can always lean on us for guidance, they will stop trying so hard when things get tough and instead look to us and ask “what do I do next?”

We need to be strategic about failure in our training.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Failure

Post by Dutchringgirl »

this is from humans and coddling the kids too, we have become a soft society. Although, It does take Sadie many more times than Thalie to learn she cant run through the railings with a 6' stick
sadiestcik.jpg
sadiestcik.jpg (211.35 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Re: Failure

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:38 pm this is from humans and coddling the kids too, we have become a soft society. Although, It does take Sadie many more times than Thalie to learn she cant run through the railings with a 6' stick
sadiestcik.jpg
At least she never gives up. 😜
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG