I eat poop!

Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

I eat poop!

Post by Joxgirl »

:o yep. Mom caught me. No she won't take a picture of that. Mom had a suspicion when she found "What I didn't eat", the other day. So last night, when she turned her back to finish up dish washing, I was quick to dispense a "snack" in my ex-pen right under her nose. Nope. Didn't bark that, "I need to go" signal as I have done before. Mom quickly took me outside to my "break spot", but I was already finished. Mom put me in my crate and cleaned up the mess, without saying a word. Then she cleaned the area with vinegar. She topped that of with Natures Miracle to remove my scent.
I don't want to be known as the "poop eater" in the forum. Help my mom help me... please. :eew:
Last edited by Joxgirl on Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: I eat poop!

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Non flavored meat tenderizer sprinkled on the dogs food will stop this
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:04 pm Non flavored meat tenderizer sprinkled on the dogs food will stop this
Thanks, Steve.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Post by zxs107020 »

I think this is something they grow out of also, so Ive read. My puppy used to do this when I first got her, but now that its been a few months (it still happens occasionally) she does it far less frequently.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

bassets are notorious for eating poop. mine does it all of the time.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Usually it's because something is missing in their diet! But that's not always true some dogs just eat shit! lol as far as her growing out of it that's not true dogs don't just grow out of behaviors...the only way they stop doing something is if something better comes along or they get a negative experience
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

poop also has food particles left in it, so dogs.... food...yum....
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Post by Tennessee3 »

If it makes you feel better it's a natural response often reinforced by the mother if the breeder doesn't catch it.

Wolves eat the poop so as to not attract predators and avoid hanging a big neon sign, den located here!!
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/