May Photo of the Month Winner
Image
Theme: Open
Pictured: Foxy
Submitted by: sysyphus
Chillin
June Theme is Not So Classy
Image


Featured Topics
To DS, or not to DS?
What's the buzz on DNA Tests?
A Malaherd?
Submissiveness
This should be read by everyone
How To Select/Research a Breeder
Other brindle breeds



New option for posting images: Image

Click Here for the forum Image Facebook page.

Just registered? Read This.

Don't bite the leash that walks you...

Post Reply
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Posts: 1066
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS.
Location: Southern California

Don't bite the leash that walks you...

Post by Joxgirl » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:10 pm

I looked to see if there was a tip on this. I read another person had an issue walking his dog as the dog would bite the leash. I tired to find it again but not having luck.
Rogue wants to bite and tug and not let go of her leash. She will walk a bit with the leash in her mouth, but this is not ideal. Then she will sit or lie down.
I'm not expecting perfection on the leash. Getting her used to it now. My concern is herholding it in her mouth.
What should I do? I use distraction and the comment to leave it. All still new to her. Anything else I can add or try with this technique?
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 1 year old
Joachimstaler @ IG

User avatar
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1683
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:42 pm
Tell us about yourself: Accidental DS rescuer. Human companion to Radar and Leela. Owner of the site, looking to make this the top site for information and discussion on Dutch Shepherds.
Location: Cutler Bay, FL, USA

Re: Don't bite the leash that walks you...

Post by centrop67 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:29 pm

Shaping. Wait patiently until she does what you want. Mark, praise, and treat like crazy.
Michael
The pack -> Radar (DS), Leela (Mal?), and Karen (Human) - Cutler Bay, FL USA
RIP: Tequila and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Joxgirl
Working Dog
Posts: 1066
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS.
Location: Southern California

Re: Don't bite the leash that walks you...

Post by Joxgirl » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:34 pm

centrop67 wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:29 pm
Shaping. Wait patiently until she does what you want. Mark, praise, and treat like crazy.
Will do.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 1 year old
Joachimstaler @ IG

Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Posts: 576
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:43 pm
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies
Location: Long Island

Re: Don't bite the leash that walks you...

Post by Steve Gossmeyer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:24 am

Joxgirl wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:10 pm
I looked to see if there was a tip on this. I read another person had an issue walking his dog as the dog would bite the leash. I tired to find it again but not having luck.
Rogue wants to bite and tug and not let go of her leash. She will walk a bit with the leash in her mouth, but this is not ideal. Then she will sit or lie down.
I'm not expecting perfection on the leash. Getting her used to it now. My concern is herholding it in her mouth.
What should I do? I use distraction and the comment to leave it. All still new to her. Anything else I can add or try with this technique?
She's a puppy! I'd give her a toy to carry

Joxgirl
Working Dog
Posts: 1066
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS.
Location: Southern California

Re: Don't bite the leash that walks you...

Post by Joxgirl » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:29 am

Steve Gossmeyer wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:24 am
Joxgirl wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:10 pm
I looked to see if there was a tip on this. I read another person had an issue walking his dog as the dog would bite the leash. I tired to find it again but not having luck.
Rogue wants to bite and tug and not let go of her leash. She will walk a bit with the leash in her mouth, but this is not ideal. Then she will sit or lie down.
I'm not expecting perfection on the leash. Getting her used to it now. My concern is herholding it in her mouth.
What should I do? I use distraction and the comment to leave it. All still new to her. Anything else I can add or try with this technique?
She's a puppy! I'd give her a toy to carry
Ahhhhh I like this idea.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 1 year old
Joachimstaler @ IG

DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:07 pm
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Re: Don't bite the leash that walks you...

Post by DaHawaiianDS » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:50 am

I've started on teaching "take it" and pointing to a toy for him to take with us on walks. It works well so far. Sometimes he drops it during the walk so we go back and tell him "take it" and point for him to pick it up again. I'm no expert but this seems to kill two birds with one stone for us. No leash tugs, and take it, drop it gets practiced on our walks.
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)

User avatar
TimL_168
Training Dog
Posts: 776
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:11 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.
Location: central MD

Re: Don't bite the leash that walks you...

Post by TimL_168 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:08 am

DaHawaiianDS wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:50 am
I've started on teaching "take it" and pointing to a toy for him to take with us on walks. It works well so far. Sometimes he drops it during the walk so we go back and tell him "take it" and point for him to pick it up again. I'm no expert but this seems to kill two birds with one stone for us. No leash tugs, and take it, drop it gets practiced on our walks.
Outstanding.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor

User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5242
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA
Contact:

Re: Don't bite the leash that walks you...

Post by Dutchringgirl » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:40 pm

does she know "leave it" if not, that is always a good one to teach. Also the taking a toy for walks is good.

Have a plan of what you want. if she does something you don't want her to do, teach it right in that moment. teach " leave it" and say it once and wait, have a toy to replace the leash with
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage

Post Reply