Vocalizations! I love them!

DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Vocalizations! I love them!

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

I wonder if this is a Dutch Shepherd thing or a Kapena thing. He's a mumble grumbler.
Examples:. If he has to go, he makes a weird noise. It's kind of a weeeeewooo whiny noise. We've noticed it from the very start so when we hear it we go, you gotta go? He hops straight up toward the door (DUH yes!).
Another:. When he's busy doing his own DS thing and I wanna snuggle on him, he'll flop down on my lap like okay but just for a second. I'll give him scritchies on his belly and when I smooch his snoot he makes a "huuwaaah" kind of noise like "moooooom!" and then lick my chin and be back up to conquer the world.
Sometimes he gets so tired he wants to take himself to bed. I swear it sounds like he's a Mogwai. He hummmmms and haaaa, so we'll ask, wanna go to bed? He'll stand straight up and pull at the leash. We let him go and he runs right into the crate,ales three circles and inspects that his puppy ball, blankie and bed are there, and lays down and waits to close the door.

Anyone have any interesting stories of DS vocalizations? These are just a few we've noticed.
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Re: Vocalizations! I love them!

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

FB_IMG_1502509406954.jpg
FB_IMG_1502509406954.jpg (652.78 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
I know y'all like pictures so here ya go! Obligatory DS Kapena pic!
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

They're often grumbly like that. En is very calm and quiet, unless it's time for something and she knows it.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Like a baby, you love when they first start talking then as they get older you wish they never learned. Sadie is super vocal and I want to kill her. It will be quiet, ill be working and out of no where, NO WHERE she lets out this loud bark, You then have to peel me off the ceiling
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

:lol:
Dutchringgirl wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:35 pm Like a baby, you love when they first start talking then as they get older you wish they never learned. Sadie is super vocal and I want to kill her. It will be quiet, ill be working and out of no where, NO WHERE she lets out this loud bark, You then have to peel me off the ceiling
I was LITERALLY having a nice dinner with my wife two days ago when the boys started arguing loudly. I looked at her and smiled and said "hey baby? Do you remember how nice things were before the kids learned to talk?"
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:47 pm :lol:
Dutchringgirl wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:35 pm Like a baby, you love when they first start talking then as they get older you wish they never learned. Sadie is super vocal and I want to kill her. It will be quiet, ill be working and out of no where, NO WHERE she lets out this loud bark, You then have to peel me off the ceiling
I was LITERALLY having a nice dinner with my wife two days ago when the boys started arguing loudly. I looked at her and smiled and said "hey baby? Do you remember how nice things were before the kids learned to talk?"
hahaha Yep !
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Lol.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

demon grumbles a lot when koda comes over and hes being petted, hes very gentle with her and would never do anything so its cute seeing his little protest trying to keep her from stealing his lovin.

one vocolisation i DONT like recently is howling, my two dogs love to howl like theyre out in the wilderness, every single time an ambulance drives by... i live beside a hospital. recently for reasons i cant possibly fathom ambulances leaving the hospital have been turning on their sirens at 3am and 5am (what traffic is there at 3am?? there arnt even traffic lights in the area, i see ambulances during the day with the silent lights on??) so my dogs both sing the song of their people extremely loudly in the dead of night -_-. my neighbors have been complaining and im concerned someone might try do something drastic if this noob ambulance driver doesnt learn youre not supposed to have the siren on in zero traffic on a motorway right alongside a residential area at 3am. common sense is getting rare
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Cordelia- I wonder if the drivers are under orders to turn the siren on. There might have been an accident recently that caused them to crack down on the siren use. Hopefully it's just temporary. I feel your pain though. I live about 75 yards from a convalescent home.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

ive lived here for 21 years and never heard it happening in the dead of night before thought so its really odd. and then just yesterday during the day i saw two cruising through traffic no problem with the lights on but no siren like usual. here they usually only put it on if theyre in gridlock non moving traffic so im dumbfounded whats possibly going on on a clear 3am motorway -_- i appreciate the sympathy. just worry someone might try throw poisoned meat over the wall if it continues.
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P