Other dogs

zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Other dogs

Post by zxs107020 »

My puppy seems to be scared of small dogs. Not the big ones apparently, but smaller ones...With all dogs, at a certain minimum distance she will start to bark and/or pull the leash (we are working on her skills of ignoring other animals). Anyway, with the big dogs she acts normal and cautiously sniffs and greets them, etc....With dogs that are around her size or smaller though, she will become submissive and if they try and sniff or play she runs away yelping and if followed then she will submissively urinate- I have been trying to build her confidence by just treating her a lot and soothing her with voice and petting while these interactions occur (while making sure they dont get out of hand). Im at a loss though as to how to "train" this fear out of her. I cant desensitize her by going to the dog park and I dont want to force any further interactions and potentially exacerbate the problem. So I guess, the question is- how do you build up the dogs confidence in the presence of a "targeted audience" (ie- small dogs lol). Shes 6-months old so maybe this is just an issue she will grow out of?
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Other dogs

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Stop setting her up to fail!!!!! Start at a far distance have her do a command then each time get closer and closer.... honestly with a lot of the issues you have you need to do some research and higher a professional that is actually a professional... I know you had issues but there's people out there like myself and dutchgirl on here that are actually are professional dog trainers... where are you located I may know someone that's good and knows the breed and will help you... other than that good luck
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

With Sadie, I took her to a place where I could keep my distance, when I saw people coming, we would go off the side walk or trail and I would put her in a sit and have her look at me and not break the look until the others went by. But much of this is training I learned from my Ring trainer. this is why a pro is key to help you.

Never let the young dog be around other dogs so early with out being in control, the pups should be on long leashes for months so you are always in control. other dogs are never allowed to just come over to touch and sniff. never.

you don't train fear out of anything. you teach them how to work in the situation.

Let Steve see if he knows of a good pro to help you and explain to you how to train
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Post by zxs107020 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:03 pm Stop setting her up to fail!!!!!
I never set her up to fail. This only happened because my sister just got a dog and doesnt know the first thing about them- and she let if off leash inside the house and it chased mine upstairs.

My mistake was letting her go down, but the other dog was supposed to be on a leash and in control by my sister.

I did do my research, after the fact- and realized that my initial intuition was correct. The new dog should have been crated the entire time it was in our house, but my parents spoil my sister (and she can do nothing wrong) and told her it was fine to let the dog roam around so I ended up having to just keep Cleo locked up in my room for a day. The new dog is gone now.
Dutchringgirl wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:28 pm With Sadie, I took her to a place where I could keep my distance, when I saw people coming, we would go off the side walk or trail and I would put her in a sit and have her look at me and not break the look until the others went by. But much of this is training I learned from my Ring trainer. this is why a pro is key to help you.

Never let the young dog be around other dogs so early with out being in control, the pups should be on long leashes for months so you are always in control. other dogs are never allowed to just come over to touch and sniff. never.

you don't train fear out of anything. you teach them how to work in the situation.

Let Steve see if he knows of a good pro to help you and explain to you how to train
As far as what you did with Sadie, this is exactly what I have already started doing- I saw someone else do the same thing at the park (regular park not dog) and realized it was the best idea. So now when another dog is in sight we immediately stop in our tracks, I have her sit and look at me until the distraction passes.

A wise man at the park also suggested to me that I teach her the word "stop"(in your tracks) so we did that also.

I will admit, I made the mistake of taking her to the dog park twice when I first got her because I wanted to see her reactions to other dogs. That wasnt the best idea but I quickly realized this and stopped taking her.

The reason I know shes OK with big dogs is because of slow, controlled, on-leash interactions with the big dogs of the wise men in the park.

Anyway, Im really lucky that she is so resilient because she has always bounced back from these situations immediately- and I have never forced her to remain in a situation where shes uncomfortable. I always step in immediately. Also, I wouldnt says shes necessarily fearful- perhaps I mispoke. I meant exactly what you said "train her to work in a situation" not "train the fear out her" potato potato. But just an example, the first time I took her to the dog park (for small dogs under 30 pounds) someone called her a whimp and all the humans laughed :? . The part that I cant get over is that this really only seems to be with dogs that are her size or smaller. lol.

This is really a very small issue. I dont think its that big of a deal. Worst case scenario, I keep her away from small dogs permanently. With research and creative problem solving, I think there are very few issues that I cannot solve on my own. Now, if she was aggressive or biting other dogs or humans that might be a different issue in which case it would be foolhardy not to seek professional help.

This is part of the reason that I am also really hopeful that I get accepted into the Schutzhund club because Im sure its members would be able to lend some great advice on smaller matters such as this. They said they are willing to put in as much time and help with the dog that I am willing to put in myself- and I am willing to put in 100% of my free time. This is really my only passion/hobby.

Steve, I sent you a PM.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
zxs107020
Green Dog

Post by zxs107020 »

Also, what Im going to start doing is taking her to the area of the dog park once or twice a week- and practicing obedience work in the presence of the other dogs behind the fence.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

zxs107020 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:07 pm Also, what Im going to start doing is taking her to the area of the dog park once or twice a week- and practicing obedience work in the presence of the other dogs behind the fence.
Perfect idea!!!
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:11 pm
zxs107020 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:07 pm Also, what Im going to start doing is taking her to the area of the dog park once or twice a week- and practicing obedience work in the presence of the other dogs behind the fence.
Perfect idea!!!
YES
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
zxs107020
Green Dog

Post by zxs107020 »

So, I got an interesting reaction at the dog park. I have been going every day to prepare for our meeting with the Schutzhund club. Many of the people at the park also go every day, and they recognize my dog and I. Yesterday, a group of them began talking to me- insisting that I bring the dog inside to play with the others. They were like, "we are veterans of the dog park, we can break up any fights or problem behavior," etc...I politely refused and this exchange ended with the most vocal man commenting that I am, "torturing the dog."
That comment kind of irritated me. I dont want to do anything that is unreasonable or may have a negative effect on the dog. Thoughts and opinions? The members of this group said it was a good idea, and the trainer (not so good) had also suggested the same thing. I wonder, how could the "veterans of the dog park" be so ignorant? Or do they have a point? Should I try working obedience inside of the fence once she becomes less reactive to the other dogs?
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I HATE dog parks, I don't go in them, or near them. the people that go are stupid too. Do you really believe that people who go in them are smart? who cares what they think, I got yelled at once because her dog would not come and went after my dog, so is he right?? No.

personally, I would stop even going outside the park and being around dog park people. my town is kind of small and has nice sidewalks and a green that is wide, so I can go in the middle and the dog can watch the others go around and we can be at a safe distance. I have no problem telling others to stay away.

Even once in a nice quiet very large park, a loose dog came up and scared Thalie and Sadie started barking, and I yelled at the woman to get her *&^& dog away from mine.

there is no way, even in town, or someplace else to be 100% secure, that is why you need to be the one in total control and who gives a flying ...... what others there say or think.

Find a quiet town with a sidewalk that you can train. take a ride to some neighboring towns, scope them out. maybe some other parks ( not dog parks, town parks) where people will be and dogs but you can stay at a safe distance.

I don't know how veterans of a dog park can be smarter than working dog people who train dogs.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage