Reliable Recall? The Collared Scholar Weighs In

centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Reliable Recall? The Collared Scholar Weighs In

Post by centrop67 »

HEAD UNDERWATER: SIMPLE TIPS TO ACHIEVING A REALLY RELIABLE RECALL Link
The Collared Scholar wrote:Practice recalls often for no good reason, rather than waiting until you need them to break out your command. Don’t use the come command only when your dog is about to run into the street or just as he is chasing the neighbor’s cats. That never ends well and will only work against your attempts to build a better recall.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Reliable Recall? The Collared Scholar Weighs In

Post by Dutchringgirl »

i used to go out and practice recall a gazzilion times a day, practice always, when they are about to poop, recall, when they are about to go do something, recall, recall recall recall.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Yep. Same here^
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:33 pm i used to go out and practice recall a gazzilion times a day, practice always, when they are about to poop, recall, when they are about to go do something, recall, recall recall recall.
Not being confrontational, really asking.... once I get Rogue to come every time, is that when I should start a recall at times like "pooping"?
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Joxgirl wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:33 pm
Dutchringgirl wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:33 pm i used to go out and practice recall a gazzilion times a day, practice always, when they are about to poop, recall, when they are about to go do something, recall, recall recall recall.
Not being confrontational, really asking.... once I get Rogue to come every time, is that when I should start a recall at times like "pooping"?
Not being confrontational at all. You can start the recall on just on leash walking, then when she has that, you can up the ante. When you see her even looking at something .....recall..... throw a ball....when she starts to run, recall. allshould be onleash , so if she recalls, fine, if not, you are right there for the correction.
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Ok. Got it. Makes sense. She was doing well with recall but is starting to ignore me. 😜
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Joxgirl wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:07 pm Ok. Got it. Makes sense. She was doing well with recall but is starting to ignore me. 😜
keep the leash on her if she still ignores you, and then do more recalls, remember, the snap of the leash is quick after if she does not listnen
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Play Your Way to a Reliable Recall

Weekly video lessons. Begins 9/26/17.

http://www.collared-scholar.com/reliable-recall/
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Post by Tennessee3 »

There's two things on this subject that I think are huge and can really make a big difference in how fast your dog learns: engagement & multiple recalls.

Engagement- pretty self explanatory, if your dog learns to associate the sound of your voice heeling play etc with looking into your eyes. That's half the battle right there. If you can break the prey cycle with a single word, alot of potential problems can be dealt with before they actually become problems. And of course it's kinda hard to pretend like they didn't hear you if ya'll are staring directly into each others eyes :lol:

Multiple recalls - I have 3 different recalls I work on depending on what I want, this allows me to work engagement and the recall without it getting too repetitive or boring.

1. Dog name (scenario dependent but i use it as a point of emphasis to grab attention if needed) Whistle/ clucking (like you do with horses) - this means "Hey you look at me, stay where I can see you!" or "Hey you look at me, we're going this direction now". Dog can keep sniffing stuff, doing her thing but it's reminder not to get lost in her own world. Daily example from around the house, we use the back door for everything and there's a fence that separates the front and back yard, when I walk to get the mail with my pup she'll sniff all over the front yard, then when I do the above recall she knows it's time to go back through the fence into the back yard.

2. Comen! - this is your standard recall, drop everything and jog/run to me, close enough I can reach down and touch you, and look at me for further direction.

3. Hier! - this is your competition recall, drop everything like it's lava, sprint like Satan himself is chasing you sit directly in front of me close enough your shoulders are touching my legs, and stare at my face like it holds the secret to building a machine that supplies endless amounts of bite size chunks of filet mignon on demand.

I'll mix these in daily to keep things interesting, and work on engagement and focus.
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

there is no "IF" you can break the prey, its when. It is possible. the higher the drive the " you better break it" because once they are locked on, they better know that its come or death.

You can have many commands. they are good. But once Thalie learned the ropes I rarely had to say anything, she just knew what to do. The best thing i did , though, was teach recall to whistle. In sport we had to use the whistle to recall but it came in handy at home too. Its really good now that she is hard of hearing because she can still hear a whistle and will come to that.
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Aww. Poor Thalie.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Post by Tennessee3 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:45 pm there is no "IF" you can break the prey, its when. It is possible. the higher the drive the " you better break it" because once they are locked on, they better know that its come or death.

You can have many commands. they are good. But once Thalie learned the ropes I rarely had to say anything, she just knew what to do. The best thing i did , though, was teach recall to whistle. In sport we had to use the whistle to recall but it came in handy at home too. Its really good now that she is hard of hearing because she can still hear a whistle and will come to that.
Lol

I know I can break drive 100% thanks to the mentally challenged rabbit that nested in the MIDDLE of my back yard, Out in the open. :yernuts:

I’ve called my girl off a rabbit dozens of times.

I was just talkin training theory, but yeah. That’s what I’m shooting for, a mental understanding of what I’m asking for in all different scenarios. The ultimate goal being a bond where a simple look or tone of voice speaks volumes.
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

I hear ya on the mentally challenged rabbit. I've got a crazy suicidal squirrel story I'll try to get posted over in the weird& wild board.
It's honestly a very useful tool to have around!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor